Moving with chickens :-(

I moved 7 chickens from Indiana to North Carolina in April and they did just fine. That was in a van with 3 big dogs and 6 cats too! The dogs were used to traveling, no problem. They were in 2 large crates in the back. The chickens were in 2 large dog crates, one on top of the other, in the middle and the cats were in 2 more large dog crates behind the driver's seat. We cut plywood and put it up between each "species." The heat wasn't a problem then but I ran the air the whole time to keep everybody cool. We had the temporary shed and run ready at the new house. The plan was to drive all day so we packed them up early. Of course it didn't go the way we planned. It was noon before we got all done and left Indiana. The chickens didn't seem upset at all even being in cages in the van for hours. They didn't like having cats next to them but settled down quickly. They all even laid their eggs in the cages! What should have been a 12 hour drive turned into 17 hours. The chickens were quiet and slept all night. (Wish the cats had. The calming medication the vet gave us for the cats wore off around midnight) But the chickens were fine. Got in at 5:00 AM, put them in their new, clean shed and they were happy. I had a good bed of straw in big cardboard boxes I cut to fit in the cages and hung water buckets and food in the cages and everyone was good. Stinky but good! If they're used to the heat already, I would think they'll be ok. Good luck!

I was surprised she stayed broody too, by time this one hatchs she will have sat nearly 2 months straight. Unfortunately, we did lose one egg, it broke in the nest. But I've been checking the other (maybe a little to much as this is my first). I candled it tonight and actually got to see movement for the first time. The egg is due to hatch about the 20th. I have been a little extra worried becuase with one egg already getting broken I don't want her to try to stay sitting for a round 3 if things don't work out. And she's maybe just a tad too tolerant of a mama, letting me collect eggs with little more then a big puff of her feathers (which is nice as had 2 that would get so mean i had to wear heavy leather gloves) and gladly taking breaks while other hens come in to lay. I've found the fertile egg out of the nest 3 times now, twice in the next box over and once on the pan just in front of the boxes (I blame the coop design) these coop and run pens are obviously not designed for broody hen. Unfortunately, I'm still waiting on my wood shed that will be our full coop conversation, its an 8x8 ft with double doors and of course we are adding extra vents and windows there is still so much to do, but the plan is to get most of the girls out of the little coops before that egg hatches. I figure we will move mama in the small pen to the big area after the egg hatches.

Riding mower should be here Monday and shed kit here Tuesday, but i still have to finish leveling the foundation so he can work on the base frame, I've been trying to get some of the tall grass down but the gas powered weed eater is taking a toll on my shoulder
Wow. Quite the ordeal! Hats off to you for keeping the broody happy.
We will be moving in a couple of years with - possibly 7 hens (5 are still babies and one MAY be a roo that we can't keep) I hadn't thought about HOW to move them! Good lessons, especially since we will be looking at a 5 - 7 hour drive when we move (yes, it will be at night)!
For a nesting box, we bought a reinforced plastic patio furniture box and cut holes in one long side for doors. My two little red hens (RIR x Leghorn) like it better than their old nest box because I close the doors at night and they are safe and warm. My neighbour down the street has 2 igloo-shaped dog kennels that her four ladies share quite happily. Just ideas in case someone out there needs something quick, cheap, easy and safe for housing chickens in a hurry.

Well, good luck with the fertile egg. :D Your broody hen is amazing!

Omg I just check the egg a little bit ago, ok i want checking the egg I was doing a late night check for spare eggs. Anyways i saw something strange on her egg so i tried to get a closer look (with out touching) and omg there is an external pip already... 2 days early then i though

Omg I just check the egg a little bit ago, ok i want checking the egg I was doing a late night check for spare eggs. Anyways i saw something strange on her egg so i tried to get a closer look (with out touching) and omg there is an external pip already... 2 days early then i though

Yay! Almost ready! :D

Back
Top Bottom