Mrs. Gosse started laying……….now what???

GermanChick

Songster
9 Years
Apr 12, 2010
NW Missouri
I got 2 pairs of American Buff last year in spring. One of the females has started laying eggs in the outdoor nesting house (little A-Frame with straw in it). She is laying a egg a day. So far I took them out of the nest since it is still freezing in the night and sometimes during the day and the first egg I found was frozen. She is not sitting on the nest. During the night they go into their little barn with the ducks. Will she go broody with me removing the eggs daily or will she start sitting on the nest so I can put the eggs underneath her???? I would love to have some goslings………. first year with geese so not much experience. Don't want to incubate them, would rather have her hatching them out.

Mr. Gosse, Hugo, and the other male are standing guard in front of the nesting house while she is laying the egg….. really cute!
And yes, Hugo has gotten a little bit protective…… Don't turn your back on him ;-)

Thanks,

If you can, get some nest eggs and put them in the nest. Keep removing the goose eggs and store them at moderate temperature and humidity turning daily. When she starts pulling down and staying on the nest overnight, return the eggs to her.

Ok, that sounds like a good idea.
Where do i get nest eggs or what could I use?????? For my chickens I do golfballs but don't know if Mrs. Goose will be happy with those….. quite a size difference!

Thank you, just placed a order.
Don't know why I didn't think of it myself ;-)

Husband suggested just using baseballs but I overruled him, ceramic eggs it is!

My goose is very happy with her golf ball. To her, size clearly doesn't matter!
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom