much ado about VA

Not judging here.....but do you guys actually get together and trade chickens?
How can you part with them?
Mine are just as much babies to me as my cats and dogs. Maybe I'm over the edge....

I have found since I got chickens as pets, that it is hard for me to even EAT chicken anymore. As much as I love chicken as a meal, it tends to stick in my throat now and make me want to gag.
I guess it's like having a dog, but eating one too....

Quote:
Oooh great - I'll be there. I woulld love to meet you!

Yes, I see your point Silkiemom, I like all my babies sofar, but I can always buy if I don't have anything to trade, right? There's always room for one more ;-)

We buy, sell and trade. All of my favorite chickens stay at home of course.
big_smile.png

But extra chicks, cockerels and the odd pullet I decide is not what I want to use for my breeding flock I take to the Swap Meet and sell them.

You don't have to take anything with you. Lots of people go just to buy.

frow.gif
Hi everyone! I live in Elberon, Va. which is in Surry County near Smithfield and across the James River from Williamsburg. I am very new to the chicken world and am loving every minute of it! I have never thought I'd fall in love with chickens let alone hold one and cuddle with it!

I bought my first silke rooster this past thursday from a wonderful lady in Gloucester, Va. thank you...he is awesome! Oh...I named him "Balou" for his purplish-blue cheeks...he's so adorable!

What is a chickenstock?

Hi it's Teeny Tiny Farm again...I forgot to ask if anyone here in Va. has an automatic egg turner that they don't need or would like to sell? I'm really worried about opening the incubator too much and changing the temperature.

Last edited:
Hi ya'll! I'm from Holly Grove in Louisa county... about 25 minutes West of Short Pump, VA (or 40 minutes West of Richmond).

I just got my coop this evening (very excited), and plan on dragging DH to Farmville on the 18th. I can't wait to meet you all and stock up on my first round of gals...and maybe one rooster. I just hope I can wait that long!
big_smile.png

I've heard different times for the silkie roos to start crowing, but yours are getting old enough to start making feeble attempts I think. Mine are still pretty much babies.....or brats.

I've heard a few odd noises on the baby monitor that may have been attempts to crow, but not sure. One morning I was awakened by a real loud weird noise that I had never heard before, but it was definitely from a chicken. I jumped out of bed and ran outside in my underwear, thinking some critter was trying to get to them. All I found were 11 sleepy-eyed silkies looking at me like I had lost my mind. I barged in and woke them up. It was almost dawn, so I'm thinking a roo was trying his crow on for size. Scared the hell out of me. There I was in my fuzzy slippers all ready to strangle a fox, and carrying my Hello Kitty flashlight.

Back
Top Bottom