much ado about VA

check ebay for incubators/egg turners. They have some good deals.
tongue.png

To silkie mom -

that is a very funny story...I can see myself doing that! I'm hoping though that my little rooster doesn't crow real loud...my neighbors aren't the friendly type.

I'd love to meet all of you...anyone near Williamsburg? I live right across the river when you take the ferry from Jamestown.

I have heard that silkies crow pretty pitifully and not very loud like a regular sized chicken. My neighbors shouldn't have a problem, as they already hear my dogs bark now and then. I have pretty decent neighbors and am lucky. We pretty much put up with each others pets and thier noises. I have one old dog from across the street that poops in my front yard every morning. I don't mind because it's a huge yard and I never walk out there anyway. She's so old she probably thinks it's her yard after all these years anyway.

If I ever got a chicken noise complaint I could always say I have to listen to their kids screaming and hollering when they run around and play......so we are even. I don't predict a problem though, and I will be sure to take them eggs to keep the peace.
wink.png

I love seeing all the Virginia People on here and the pictures too !
I live in southwest Virginia and we border North Carolina! We usually have a good selection of birds for sale if anyone is interested, if we aren't sold out at the time. Just let me know. Thanks, Jay in Stuart, VA 24171.

On September 26, 2008, we currently have the following available in Stuart, VA 24171 at:

www.gregorypoultry.com

Started Pullets/Chicks.

Buff Orpington Pullets,
Silver Laced Wyandotte Pullets,
Americauna Pullets,
Rhode Island Red Pullets,
Barred Rock Pullets,
White Crested Black Polish,

Guinea's, Different Ages too.

Chinese Ringneck Pheasants.

I know this is off topic, but I have been getting bitten by something when I am out in the pen with the chickens. I never see anything, but have bites on my back and arms. They itch like crazy!

Anyone ever have this problem?

Also, is it safe to let chickens be out in the rain? Sometimes they don't go back inside when it rains, so I leave them locked up inside the coop. They are locked up now, and I can hear them complaining on the baby monitor.

Just a quick question for y'all, since we are all in the same neighborhood. My chickens have completely stopped laying. Three weeks, no eggs. I have 10 hens & one rooster and I had to (unspeakable horror!) buy a dozen eggs this week. Have y'alls chickens quit, too. I mean, completely stopped? I expected a slow down but not a halt.

I've got one nekked (molting) hen, but she wasn't laying to begin with.

I just wondered if it was regional or if my chickens were on strike.

My husband made some "upgrades" to our nesting boxes-I wonder if they have decided they don't like it & have stopped due to stress. I made him undo the changes he made but they won't go in the boxes now at all.

Hello, I am in Patrick Springs Va. New to keeping chickens,about 2yrs now but still learning.. we have 5 female buffs 1 Rooster-- they hatched 7 babies.. Polish Rooster,Silkie Rooster, A pair Rhoad Island Red, A pair White Rock, A pair Dominiques,23 chicks california white, 4 white leghorn babies.2 game hens, 4 babies... A Bronze Turkey and 2 burbon red hens. We have a few mixed chickens probably around 6 of them...And we are going to have around 18 white leghorn babies on the 20th. Love the babies. Last week we hatched out 18 baby chicks. we had 6 turkey eggs in the incubator and none hatched. We have a pigmy goat named Daisy. A white bunny named Tabby. Two chihuhuhas RJ and Meyha. Two german sheppards Max and Sasha. A siamese cat Jasper, and Tom. Two Cockatiels Charlie and Lily Mae. 3 sons our oldest is in Iraq he is a marine, others in high school, and 1 daughter graduated last year. Thats us in a nut shell.. And next week my sister is giving us a Doberman Pincher pup...Just joined the forum today to learn what we can on chickens/turkeys...

Back
Top Bottom