much ado about VA

My GP lays around with the chickens, goes in their run when it's open and eats their food.

Our Aussie however wanted to chase and kill them when I first got the birds. I took him out with me one day with a shock collar on and when he went after the birds I zapped him. I haven't had any trouble since, as long as I'm in the yard. I still don't trust him unsuppervised yet, so when the birds are ranging he stays in the house.

My wife says she'll take the german shepard pup, like I need another dog around here.
roll.png

When we decided to get chickens, I was very worried about how my boxer would react. She is very prey driven and I had a tough time making her understand where she fit in our family "pack". When the chickens first came to live here, I would allow them to free range only while I was in the yard to supervise. I let the dogs come out with me and would make the dogs come and sit with me-especially the boxer. Eventually she must have gotten it, because she is very complacent where they are concerned.

So I guess in my long winded way, I am saying that you have to socialize them, if you can. Reward good behavior and reprimand them thoroughly when they growl, bark, or try to attack.

It took most of the summer with my boxer, but I have reached the point at which I am comfortable leaving them all out together.

Good luck.

Need help please. My 6 day old california whites, some have pasty butt and I washed and blowdried them and two have died on me so far. I am home today because trying to pass kidney stone. Watching them and hurting. What do I do for the babies??
Kimberley
Jaybr, you are more then welcome to have Sasha. Let me know if you would like to make her yours. She is very sweet, and listens really good. Loves to play. It kills me that we have to keep her in the dog lot. I rather her be somewhere she would get to play and have fun.

Quote:
Sorry to hear you lost 2 little ones. It's always so sad.
I'm thinking maybe the stress of a wash & blowdry may have been too much if they were already weak.
You could try Olive oil to remove the "paste" and it will also help to keep any more from sticking.
What kind of litter are they on? What are you feeding them?
Were they shipped to you? Sometimes they just can't survive the trip......
Anyway, hope all the others make it.

Quote:
You should never stop hatching chicks!

Seriously, I guess the big question is how long do you want them in your house before they are grown enough to survive the cold?

As cute as they are, I'm actually relieved that I finally got all my birds out of the house!

My babies are California Whites, and white leghorns. I am feeding them medicated crumbles and some chick grit on the side. They have vitamin water for three days and then just plain water for three days. They are split up into four totes which have 12 babies in them the tote is 90 qt. My hubby cut the lid in half. Screen over one side where the light is and I leave the other side of the lid off during the day since they move around and generate more heat. During the night I put the lid on and remove it around 5:30 am change the dish towels three times a day. The dish towels work great. I have a little broom and dust pan to get all the extra food and mess up with. Their feet are kept clean. I will try the olive oil, your so right they might be so stressed out by the blow dryer. I wasn't sure what to do as far as getting them dry so they don't get a chill. We hatched 18 of our own eggs. It was our first time ever using the bator. And I have had no problems with our babies. They are growing and getting so big. We hatched them on October 3rd. We had 24 eggs in all. Two babies died while trying to get out of the egg. And the others just didn't hatch at all. I was so sad. We had 6 Turkey eggs in there too and they didn't make it. We craked them open on the 30th day and they were fully developed and we were so disapointed that they didnt hatch. We will try again with only Turkey eggs next time. We have a Bronze Tom, and Two burbon red hens. We started the Turkey eggs 10 days before we put the chicken eggs in the bator. Our George is a Buff, and he mated with every hen. So I am sure we have some mixed babies as some have a lot of different colors on their wings. But, never had pasty butt. And they are very happy as to the ones we ordered. They lay around a lot and have a lot of stress crys.. I called the company yesterday and they said they might be too hot in the tote. We have a thermoniter hanging two inches from the floor and it read 95 in the two totes for the 7 day old babies we ordered, they said to drop the temp down to 90 or 85 and I am supposed to call back today and let them know how they are doing. Our babies are down to 88-90. Our babies can fly out of the tote already. I have two of them that when I come in greet me and fly to my shoulder. So cute.

The Farmville swap meet, tommorrow... what time does it start?

It takes me an hour to get there and I have some cages to clean before I come! I've got a bunch of Silkie roos and some really sweet Holland Lop rabbits I plan to bring.

Back
Top Bottom