much ado about VA

DE is short for Diatomaceous Earth. In short, it controls parasites. I'm having a hard time finding it locally and I was hoping someone knew of a VA feedstore that carries it. I want the food-grade type.

It is the skeletal remains of diatoms that are mined. Full name is Diatomaceous Earth. It is used to keep insects and parasites at bay in bedding and on the animals themselves as a light dusting. It punctures the parasites outer shell and lets them dehydrate which kills them.​

I'm down in Lexington VA... Hopefully the deer will leave my chickens alone when they strip.. I mean graze through my place..

Omuhgosh! CHICKENPEOPLE! And in my own backyard! I'm in the Richmond area and adore my gurls. I WOULD have adored my boys but roosters are a no no (Don't know why--the dogs next door bark day and night so what's a little crowing-- and if you get close to the fence you soon realize they use that area for a potty--a potty that's not cleaned very often. Go into my gurls condo and you smell straw. Hmmmmmmmm--dog poop/straw? I think there's no comparison there who I'd like living next to me) Out of the six girls I ordered from My Pet Chicken, one was maimed and two are roosters. Not a good track record huh? What sort of chickens do you have? (well--maybe I can guess about silkie-mom) I have two Wyandotts (gold and silver), an Amerucana (one leg) and a Salmon Faverelle (or as my friend calls her, a "Salmon Fa LaLa") I was supposed to also have a Cuckoo Meran and a Buff Orpington but a Dominiques was substituted for the Cuckoo Meran. Both the Dominiques and the Buff Orpington turned out to be roosters. They had to go. Southern States sells diatomaceous earth. I use it on the straw bales in the chicken condo under the towels I keep over them (gotta have a place to sit donchaknow). I also sprinkle it under the straw in the run out back. Don't know if it's food grade so I wouldn't sprinkle it on my gurls. If you need hens Weasleymum, maybe you don't want to order from the same place I did. Left a bad taste in my mouth and a hole in my heart since I had to lose the boys I'd grown really fond of. I am very happy to have found you all!

Back
Top Bottom