Lovem all

Songster
Jul 29, 2020
Hi, I have a ten year old barred rock hen named combs. It has been months since the last time she layed, and the last time she became egg bound. Yesterday she spent most of her morning in the egg box but seemed fine and left without laying. When I went to feed the chickens dinner I found her in the egg box again, I checked her vent and there was a clear mucus coming out and I could see no object trying to come out. Instead of soaking her I wiped her vent with a damp paper towel. It was very thick and just kept coming but did not feel attached. Does anyone know what is causing this?

This morning she ran straight for the egg box without even stopping to eat...and she always eats. She was in there for about fifteen minutes because when I came back with surprise treats (no they dont get them all the time not even always weekly we just had left over salad from dinner) and she left nothing in the egg box.

What color is the mucus? I would make sure that she is getting enough calcium in a layer feed or with crushed oyster shell available. If she not too weak or hving problems breathing you could give her a warm soak in water to help her if there is an egg stuck. You canninsert a clean finger into her vent to feel for a stcuk egg or obstruction. Is there any bad odor? None of my chickens have made it to 10, muchless laying eggs. I have 9 year olds, and lost several 9 year olds last year. I would wonder if she has some reproductive disorder happening.

Back
Top Bottom