Muddy run! Help please!

I was planning on using crushed rock then several inches of sand with a layer of landscape cloth between to keep the sand from washing thru. So my question is, the area we are using is very uneven clay type soil. We were using the crusher waste to flatten everything out.... Can I have the rock, then throw top soil on that then start the deep litter? Or does anyone have a better suggestion?

You sure can. If you maintain it deep enough and long enough, that will all turn to soil right on top of your rocks. You won't even need to place top soil on top of the crush and run, the litter will break down and do just fine over time. I'd skip the sand and landscape cloth, though. Not necessary.

You sure can.  If you maintain it deep enough and long enough, that will all turn to soil right on top of your rocks.  You won't even need to place top soil on top of the crush and run, the litter will break down and do just fine over time.  I'd skip the sand and landscape cloth, though.  Not necessary. 

Thank you! I was feeling guilty taking away all those bugs when we were moving the dirt to flatten the land down some. Now I can just throw that dirt/grass back in on top of the rock along with some other goodies :)

Our run isn't completely covered. Should we put some material across the top to keep the rain out? Our sand run is beginning to stink despite daily cleaning.

There are plenty of people who have completely uncovered runs and the runs do not stink. These people also don't exert a lot of energy cleaning them. What type of litter have you covered the run surface with? How deep is it? Simply covering the run is not the answer.

Best wishes,
Ed

ETA: Ok, just went back and saw where you have a sand run. Read the thread and you'll have an answer for your problems of stinking, flies, mud, etc.,....
smile.png

Last edited:
Our run isn't completely covered. Should we put some material across the top to keep the rain out? Our sand run is beginning to stink despite daily cleaning.
no cover needed. Toss all your produce scraps, yard debris and a Sunday Paper or 2 in the run. I put all new additions in a pile in the center and let the birds do the work. I haven't actually cleaned my run in, well ever I guess. I just scoop out what I need for garden boxes and flower pots as needed. The only time it smells at all is when I have a round of meat birds in there, and they always stink.

The key to a "clean smell free" run is just as stated before. Lots of material from many sources.

I have 5 chickens. My grass in my run is long gone. The chickensd I now have. Have dug holes in my run and lay in them during when it's hot out. The run looks like a war zone hit it chicken style. With all the holes. We are going to revise the coop in the spring. I want to work on the run also. This may sound silly but do they sell pine needles? I recycle newspapers. I've read the threads that say put newspapers in the run. So do I just lay the papers flat on the ground? How deep do I put them?Won't the chickes feet slip on the wet paper?. How often if I do use the newspapers. Do I apply them?When thney break down. Won't that just be as muddy for the birds?Wouldn't you need to put meal worms or food down over the papers. So to start the chickens scratching the ground?As you can read by this post. I have never did this before. I'm willing to try this as the run looks bad. Thank you for your replies

I have 5 chickens. My grass in my run is long gone. The chickensd I now have. Have dug holes in my run and lay in them during when it's hot out. The run looks like a war zone hit it chicken style. With all the holes. We are going to revise the coop in the spring. I want to work on the run also. This may sound silly but do they sell pine needles? I recycle newspapers. I've read the threads that say put newspapers in the run. So do I just lay the papers flat on the ground? How deep do I put them?Won't the chickes feet slip on the wet paper?. How often if I do use the newspapers. Do I apply them?When thney break down. Won't that just be as muddy for the birds?Wouldn't you need to put meal worms or food down over the papers. So to start the chickens scratching the ground?As you can read by this post. I have never did this before. I'm willing to try this as the run looks bad. Thank you for your replies

I've never heard of placing newspapers in the run but I'd not do it. There are free materials most anywhere you look that would be ten times better than newspapers...leaves, twigs, bark, lawn rakings, etc.

They do sell pine shavings and that would help....build them deep, don't go skimpy with the material. Place something on the sides of the bottom of the run fencing to keep all these materials from being kicked out of the run.

After that, plan on looking for materials you can use in your run all year long to build a good "forest" floor in your run that will help keep the soils loose and absorbing moisture well and will digest any manure in the run. Any garden refuse, corn stalks and shucks and such, leaves, woody plant stems, etc. Seems to work best if it's not all the same material, being of different particle sizes and break down rates.

tgc, Beekissed is very experienced at DLM (deep layer method) and it transitions well into runs. She has *good* information!

The more organic matter that you can get in there the better. Leaves, leaves, and more leaves are fantastic. I had to go back and find where you're located at (Ohio) to figure out what environment you're dealing with. A good deep layer of litter both in the coop and the run would do wonders for your chickens. In searching for your location I see that you've used lots of medicines and pesticides in the past. I would stop using these and let the litter build up the population of microbes and critters that make for a healthy ground for your chickens. Once your litter "comes alive" it has many health benefits to it...both physical and mental. The chickens will love scratching in it rather than walking through the "bomb zone". A little BOSS or scratch thrown out occasionally will put them to work turning the litter for you. I'm not sure what type of weather you are having, but if you see bags of leaves out by the road...well, that's a freebie bag of litter. ;)

Lowes, Home Depot, Marvins, etc., all sell pine straw in my area, not sure about your area but they probably do there, too. Also, look for someone locally...check Craigslist, buy-sell-trade papers, "For Sale" listings in the local newspaper, etc., for someone that will deliver to you.

Leaves seem to work best, and it seems you can't get too many of them. Pine straw is pretty good, though take longer to break down due to the waxy surface. Wood chips and shavings are long-lived. Basically anything organic that can be shredded, chipped, or broken in small pieces would work, though use the "odd" stuff in smaller quantities. Grass clippings are good in smaller amounts, in large amounts they can mat together and mold...same with old hay. A little of most any yard debris the chickens will love to investigate...and will spend hours pecking and hunting that juicy bug that they *know* is hiding in there. ;)

How large is the run? Dimensions?

Best wishes,
Ed

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom