Mulberry Trees

Shanty

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 4, 2010
Canutillo Texas
My front yard is dominated by a a large non-fruiting Mulberry, so I naturally thought I'd add a few more Mulberry trees to my acre. In researching the species, I discovered one that produces 3 to 5 inch "berries." The Pakistan Mulberry I planted in the fall of 2012 as a 6 foot bare root has struggled here. Don't know if it where I planted it, or if it's the sand in which it is planted (amended at planting time, of course). In 2013 it only put up stalks from the base of the plant. They seemed to make it through the 2013 winter without much damage (I'm in zone 8b but we are at 3,500 foot altitude and it can get to 20 degrees here--just NOT this past winter). A local expert (who is from Iraq, BTW) pronounced last year that my tree was a "male," based on the leaves. I shrugged and decided it would be a nice shade tree for that hot corner of the property. This spring I noticed that the tree was growing some substantial berries. Hmmm, a male, eh? Turns out the expert was NOT an expert and the short, young tree produced several berries the past two months. They are large and they are delicious. We look forward to a larger harvest from a larger tree. It will make excellent jams and pies. Try one.

Quote:
ep.gif
Wow! My grandparents had a couple of mulberry trees, 1 was very old and some sort of dwarf variety, very wide but kind of short- we could reach just about all of the fruit but the longest were only 1/3 of the size in your pics! I can still remember my siblings & cousins with purple feet, hands and mouths from eating the berries but I don't recall my grandmother ever making anything with them such as pies or jam.

Gorgeous mulberries, @Shanty ! I may have to break down and buy a couple of the Pakistan variety. I've been picking from our wild trees that are along the fence line (planted complements of some birds) to make some mulberry jelly. I just have to keep reminding hubs how much he likes the jelly come winter so that he won't cut all of them down each summer (which he's always so tempted to do).

With our super strange weather in SoCal, my Persians fruited in December and again at the end of February into March. A friend just brought some fruit from her tree to a meeting on Friday.

This is the only mulberry that I have ever tasted and have not a want to try any others. They are so easy to propagate, you can start new trees from cuttings. I have two on the south-west end of my property and the only water they get is from rain (when we have it) and whenever I dump my duck buckets. They are pretty drought and heat tolerant - at least if the name means anything, I would think that was true :)

Ah I'm soo jealous! Those are HUGE! ....for anyone who hasn't tried mulberry pie, please do. You will not be disappointed!

@Kev - they taste kind of like blackberries, but they taste a bit different...I cannot explain the exact taste, they are unique. So if you get a chance try them! :)

We bought an old homestead in western PA. It had a huge old mulberry tree in the side yard. We were so excited to have such a wonderful bearing tree.
celebrate.gif
Until it bore fruit and the fruit flies came.
barnie.gif
What a nightmare.
he.gif
Fruit flies everywhere!
rant.gif
We couldn't even use the side door to the house which opened near it all season long as the fruit flies invaded the house!
sad.png
Finally cut it down the next year and no more fruit flies!
wee.gif
Just plant it far from your house!
old.gif

The mulberries were delicious!
droolin.gif

Best,
Karen in western PA, USA

Last edited:
I may have to try that Pakistan mulberry next year . I see it s rated for zone 5 . I have a favorite mulberry growing here . Just a wild one that seems to be alba x Rubrum mix . Very tasty . Alba are often tasteless and the native Rubrum much better tasting .

Back
Top Bottom