Mulberry Trees

My grandmother had a huge mulberry tree that had thumb sized white berries on it. They were sweet, we ate them like candy. The chickens loved the leaves, we stripped them off by the hsndfulls. Grandma had Dominiques.

The Persian MB produces smaller berries; about the size you'd get from any "wild" MB on the place. Don't know if the Persian berries stain like the others, but the Pakistan variety produces big, long berries that don't stain your hands when you pick them. Several folks say they taste like raspberries. I just don't get that taste when I eat them. Even the not-so-purple berries from the Pakistan variety taste great. More of a fruity vegetal flavor even when fully ripe. There is a white, long-berried variety, too. Don't remember the species.

The heat hit us about ten days ago--104, 109, 107--and the Pakistan is growing quite nicely. I deep irrigate the tree and water about every five days in this heat. The leaves of the Pakistan variety are large and probably lose water quickly through evapo-transpiration. I am keeping a close eye on all of my trees and bushes this year as the prolonged drought has lowered the water table from 12 feet to about 20 feet. The Rio Grande finally had water flowing a week or so ago; that will help raise the water table a bit. It's been a dry sandy "wash" since last year. Normally it looks like this:

In any event, I recommend the Pakistan variety if you want a unique Mulberry tree.

Here's a site that offers several different species, including the purple Pakistan and the white Pakistan LONG berry.

http://www.burntridgenursery.com/fruitingPlants/index_product.asp?dept=20&parent=7

Last edited:
I don't know what flavor I taste in my berries, I just know it is good and YES they do stain. Both Pakistani and Persian grow really well here, but I've only tasted the Persian since that is what my friends grow, as well as myself. I have seen the Pakistani fruit and they are indeed long. The longest berries I've gotten off my Persian were between 2-4" long. Most never make it in from the backyard. I am going to trim them back fairly far this winter so I can graft different varieties. I also have a really low laying branch that I think I will pile dirt over to get it to root so I can cut if off and have a pretty large started tree. They are supposed to be deciduous, however, neither of them lost leaves this past 'winter', probably because we never had a 'fall', either.

I planted my first tree maybe 2 months ago, it's going great and already giving us little berries. We also noticed that the large tree in front of our house is also a mulberry tree lol. It has little white berries. I came home from work last week and my boyfriend had cut off all of the lower branches. He said it made the tree look better... So now the birds are eating all of my berries. He has since decapitated both of the 5 year old orange trees and 'trimmed them up'. Needless to say I won't be getting much, if any fruit from my trees for a while.

I'm trying to track down a source of root tone before going to the town tot-lot for a few cuttings. THere is an old tree that overhangs from a neighbors yard into the tot lot and when mykids were little enough to play there, we often picked the berries. Handfuls of sweet juicy berries.

I cant imagine the very long berries-- would love to have a few of those.

Off to go look at that link.

The Persian MB produces smaller berries; about the size you'd get from any "wild" MB on the place. Don't know if the Persian berries stain like the others, but the Pakistan variety produces big, long berries that don't stain your hands when you pick them. Several folks say they taste like raspberries. I just don't get that taste when I eat them. Even the not-so-purple berries from the Pakistan variety taste great. More of a fruity vegetal flavor even when fully ripe. There is a white, long-berried variety, too. Don't remember the species.

The heat hit us about ten days ago--104, 109, 107--and the Pakistan is growing quite nicely. I deep irrigate the tree and water about every five days in this heat. The leaves of the Pakistan variety are large and probably lose water quickly through evapo-transpiration. I am keeping a close eye on all of my trees and bushes this year as the prolonged drought has lowered the water table from 12 feet to about 20 feet. The Rio Grande finally had water flowing a week or so ago; that will help raise the water table a bit. It's been a dry sandy "wash" since last year. Normally it looks like this:

In any event, I recommend the Pakistan variety if you want a unique Mulberry tree.

Here's a site that offers several different species, including the purple Pakistan and the white Pakistan LONG berry.

http://www.burntridgenursery.com/fruitingPlants/index_product.asp?dept=20&parent=7
I love the selection at this nursery!!

Too bad the Pakistan variety will not grow in the colder regions. Darn. THe looong fruits are intriguing.

Arielle

I'm afraid you are correct, but . . . I checked on the temps for this nursery in Washington state--my home state BTW--and see that the average lowest temps in the winter are in the 40s. Here's a link to that information:

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/98570

Remember that SOME nurseries have plants drop-shipped from another nursery. That may be the case here, or you could call them and discuss your particular climate with them. I'd opt for a more cold hardy Mulberry variety, but DON'T give up hope until there is NO HOPE. LOL. The micro-climates on my acre baffle me all the time. Why does one bush do well on one side of the acre and not on the other? Why are there hot spots? Cold spots? And the most baffling--something I call "no spots."

Shannon

Mulberries are getting ripe here . I have been sampling them . So many variations in color and taste . By far the best tasting are our native red mulberry and it's hybrids . The reds are a longer berry than the alba .

Back
Top Bottom