mulch?

ljf24

Songster
10 Years
Jun 4, 2009
TN
so ive heard of using sand, pine shavings, sawdust, and even dried leaves in the coop, but i was wondering if you could use mulch?

Some mulch are treated and dyed. I would be afraid it might harm the chickens but let other more experienced folks chime it!

I use mulch but I make sure to use the kind that hasn't been dyed and you have to be sure it's not the kind with herbicide added to it (may be called pre-emergence weed control). Over that I use Dry Stall (or Dry Den) 'cause it breaks down so they can dust in it. Works real well and makes a great addition to the flower beds when it's cleaned out.

You mean like shredded bark, sold as decorative mulch for the garden? You *could* I suppose but it would probably not be a great idea in most cases. Mulch is usually not terribly absorbant, and it *is* quite expensive compared to bales of shavings from the feedstore. So unless a person has a source of free GOOD QUALITY, DRY shredded bark, I just can't quite see the point?

Pat, who, if she had a source of free shredded bark mulch, would sell it and buy a larger quantity of shavings
tongue.png

We all have different conditions, circumstances, and management practices. Different things work for different ones of us. Consider what you want in the material for your coop. My criteria is:

It should be inexpensive. If you have a free source, that is better than buying something.

It should be dry and absorbant. Otherwise you are changing it out a lot.

It should be something the chickens can turn for you to reduce your raking.

It should be easy to handle. There is a big difference in scraping it out of the bottom of a small raised coop versus mucking out a big walk-in coop by loading it into a wheelbarrow. Some things mat together and some come out pretty easily.

You need to be able to dispose of it. I take mine to the compost heap, but not everyone has a compost heap.

I use pine shavings but others successfully use other things. For me, I'd think the shredded bark would not be that absorbent, would not be that easy to clean out, and would be expensive. If you have a free source, a small raised coop so you can scrape it straight into a wheelbarrow, don't mind doing that fairly regularly, and a good place to dispose of it, it might work for you.

Good luck!!!

Why does everyone think that bark is so much less absorbent than pine shavings? They are both wood. The reason I use bark mixed with Dry Den is because I can move it straight to the garden beds when I'm done with it. And what is this nonsense about having to clean it out often? I just add a little more Dry Den every month or so and I only clean my coop twice a year! The neighbors are shocked that my chickens don't smell at all! They were sure I was going to turn the neighborhood into a smelly mess.
lol.png

As for the chickens turning it they have managed to dig dusting holes everywhere (yes even through the bark) but the very bottom of the coop is rarely completely exposed and that's the way I like it! It makes clean up so much easier when wet poop is not stuck to the coop floor!
I don't have a problem with people using pine shavings or whatever else they want but if you haven't tried a method it is a little silly to assume how bad it would be when you have no facts to back up that hypothesis. As far as cost goes, yes bark is more expensive, though a trip to a garden center that sells it by the yard (bring your truck) is much, much cheaper than buying it by the bag, but since I plan on mulching my garden beds anyway why not let the chickens add their fantastic fertilizer to it first?
Not angry here, just asking folks to consider that something else might just actually work well for others (even if it's not what you would do)!

Absolutely different strokes for different folks. What works best for me may not be the best for you. That's kinda why I gave my criteria, to help people think what might be best for them.

We are both discussing shredded bark, not wood chips. I think it is important to make that distinction. Those are different products with different properties. I can and do get all the wood chips I can handle free from a municipal facility. I use those for mulching trees, bushes, and landscaping beds. I don't buy or use the shredded bark.

I don't add dry den or anything else to my wood shavings. May keep my costs down a bit. With a little raking and using a droppings board, I get great results. I'm not saying you don't, just that I do.

When I clean the coop, I don't put it straight on the garden. I compost it first for two reasons. Chicken manure can be pretty strong to go straight on a garden. I'm concerned that I may burn certain plants, especially squash or cucumber type plants, if I put it straight on. I know plenty of people successfully do that but my experieces and methods may be diffeerent than theirs. The other reason is that the wood has such a low nitrogen to carbon ratio that I am concerned, if my chicken poo content is not high enough to provide enough extra nitrogen, that the wood product can draw extra nitrogen from the ground to aid its decomposition, thus not leaving enough nitrogen immediately available for my garden plants. If there is enough poo content to provide the nitrogen, it may burn the plants. I just find it less worrying to compost if first. I know this does not have a lot to do with the specific topic at hand, but I'm using it to point out that different folks do different things for different reasons.

I have not used shredded bark in my coop although I have used it as mulch in a different situation. From my experience with it, I think that the thinner wood shavings will be more absorbent. I also thing they will be easier to remove from my walk-in coop. But wahtever works for you in your specific situation is great. Go for it.

Yes, I should have made that clear. I always let the poo ferment for awhile in my compost heap before putting it in plant beds. Fresh poo (of any kind) does not make great fertilizer! I also don't use this for my veggie beds what with all the concern lately of salmonella tainting the veggies while they're growing.
Any tips on safe ways to use coop litter as fertilizer for veggie beds? The shredded bark is not good for tilling into the soil but the run area has no bark in it, just sand, soil and D.G.

Not sure why you're assuming people haven't tried it, SunnyDawn.

I have used both shavings and shredded bark in, while not a chicken coop, similar circumstances. Good bedding-grade shavings just ARE more absorbant. (Being made of wood is not what defines their absorbancy, it is the size and structure of the pieces). And shavings are for sure cheaper... especially in bulk, since you mention bulk delivery.

So I'm sticking with "you can, but in most cases I think other materials would be better, except in special circumstances".

Pat

Quote:
No, my problem was not with anything you said. In fact it was more likely related to the stress I was under at that moment from an unrelated issue than it was from anything anyone here said. I just wanted to point out that it does work for some of us and works quite well but I am an avid gardener and my needs are twofold. Great litter and great mulch for my flower beds. Sorry if I came off a little strong that was just plain silly.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom