multi-generational logistics questions

gadus

Songster
8 Years
Jul 28, 2015
Maine
I currently have six pullets which are entering their seventh week; they are currently in a rabbit cage without extra light/heat, inside my house, but in several days I'm soon going to put them in an outside brooder, inside the run of the mature hens. It's mid-50s here at night so I'm not sure yet if I should hold off another couple of weeks. Not sure also about the timing for introduction of them to the main flock but am taking suggestions.

Also am preparing to order some cockerels, 15 or so, raise all but two to butchering size and keep the remainders for spring breeding. Can I put these three-day old birds in with the eight week olds in their (4'X4') brooder or do I need a separate enclosure?

I imagine also that these rooster, two in number, would need to be comparable size to mature hens before their introduction to the main coop as well. The others will be separate altogether, until they head for the butcher shop (my backyard).

Thanks all.

The three day olds need a heat source. The eight week olds do not. By the time the younger chicks are ready to be off heat, the older batch of chicks will be fully integrated into your flock.
And just to make you feel a bit better about leaving the 7 week olds outside, I routinely have chicks off heat and outside at just 4 weeks old, with average temps at about 40 to 50 degrees. Yours will be fine.

You are almost missing window with older juveniles. Place them and rabbit cage in with adults in coop for a few days for introduction. Then release them in the coop late during the day for a couple of days. This will promote smoother merger.

Back
Top Bottom