Multi level run?

wleigh1021

Songster
5 Years
Jan 16, 2016
New Jersey
Has anyone "created" extra space in their run by making it multi level (other than a roost)? I am helping my neighbor plan her new coop using an existing shed but there's not a ton of space for the run so I'm trying to think of ways to get creative.

I have! It's not a formal level, just a big shelf, really, with a ramp leading up to it, like a deck. The girls love it! Here's a pic. You could do this with a bigger "shelf," I would think.
20181120_150141.jpg

unfortunately chunnels aren't an option due to bears and coyote in our area, so it needs to be something sturdy that electric fence can be hooked up to. Sorry, I should have said that to begin with. I'm thinking a deck too with maybe sand or dirt on top with a lip on hinges to hold it in but make it easy to clean? My concern with just doing more roost space is that you make the birds more susceptible to cocci and worms still? They will be allowed free range time but not in the winter due to hawks, and only when they can be watched due to other predators. If not the whole deck filled in with dirt, then maybe make a couple small decks big enough to store some plastic bins with dirt baths and roosts in between for them to walk around on?..... hmmmm....

I like the spiral staircase! Here's just an idea I came up with real quick. 3 corner decks with lips to hold a corner shaped litter box for dust baths surrounded by 2x8 lumber for them to walk along. this would be about 3-4' up from the ground depending on the degree of slope on the roof. viewing as birds' eye.

Attachments

• meg's chicken run.JPG
    meg's chicken run.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 35
My concern with just doing more roost space is that you make the birds more susceptible to cocci and worms still?
Nah, as long as bedding in run is good.

I'd go with roosts and movable platforms, rather than a 'second floor'.
Anything bigger than a roost will need to be cleaned and may get in the way of snow removal.
How big is the run?
Will it have a solid roof?

Here's my set up for when I had chicks out there, most stuff on the ground was removed in winter.
full

Back
Top Bottom