Multiple Breed Mgmt

StevenKeith

In the Brooder
May 12, 2018
Preface: I'm sorry. I know I'm fixing to ask questions the OG's have seen, ad nauseum. Again, I apologise. Still gonna ask em but all apologies.

Hello,
What are you guys doing to keep your birds separated? Coops with individual runs? Isolating roosters(separate runs)? Don't even mess with it?

I'm fairly new to chickens & when I say that, I'm new to "breeding" chickens. Always had them but nothing more than feed & water, cleaning up after em & getting eggs out of nest boxes. Recently (few months now) I've started hatching on site with my own incubator. Everybody here knows what comes next. I've started getting interested in different breeds and soon I'll need to keep certain hens with certain roosters. I'd like to have my structures built & plan laid out before the "new" chickens will need anything more than a brooder. The plan(which we all know is gonna change) now, is to have 5 different breeds. 5 total birds per breed, 4:1 ratio. I wouldn't think I need huge facilities? I'd like something compact & efficient. Whatever that means?

Any suggestions? Photos? Help? Run like hell & find something else to do?

Thanks

Whoa! You probably need a bigger coop/run area for each breed group, for them to be happy and healthy. (5 separate coops & run) that’s a lot of work and maintenance, besides the ratio your thinking might be a little under the recommended 8:1 or 10:1. Your hens might be run rugged.

Unless you have lots of space, time, resources and ways to sell fertilize eggs and chicks, you might turn into an Amish puppy mill,
Which could be sad, I’ve seen those conditions when we were looking for a puppy for our 3 year old daughter.

Back
Top Bottom