Multiple eggs (two soft shell) from same chicken in one day!

serendipityfarm

Songster
9 Years
Mar 28, 2010
Connecticut
So since it was a holiday I was lurking around the coop to try to determine which of the girls is responsible for which egg each day. I have been getting 4 very different looking types. Anyway, I am 100% positive FIONA, my Light Brahma laid early in the day.
Later, around bedtime, I went to shut the chicken door, and noticed a chicken not on the roost. Didnt think much of it and went on with my evening chores (horses, ducks, etc). While feeding the horses, I heard something from the coop and though I can't say what I actually heard, I thought I might check to make sure all was well on my way back in.
When I checked, there was a weird soft shelled egg in the middle of the floor. Looking closer, there was a second broken soft shell egg right under the roost where the big girls were, and FIONA had some fresh drippiness on mer rear end, so I'm pretty sure it was her.
That would make three eggs, one normal and two abnormal in one day!!!

Any ideas?

Oh, I have been feeding a mix of layer pellets and layer crumbles (some dont seem to like the pellets), but went and got some oyster shells today, too.
She seems to be acting normal so I am going to just keep an eye on her for now. But if there is anything else I should do or look for, I'd be happy to hear it!
Thanks!!!

~Terry

Is she a new layer? If so, I wouldn't worry about it at all. Weird things happen when you have new layers. It takes awhile for them to get their system to regularly lay eggs sometimes.

If she is an older hen, I would watch her more closely.

In any case, good thing you happened to be there to clean up the mess and help prevent egg eating!

Thanks! She is new to laying. I figured that was it, but it never hurts to post here just in case it raises red flags for anyone w/a little more knowledge/experience!

I cannot fathom one hen being responsible for THREE eggs in a day, even a new layer. They say it takes on average 25 hours for an egg to work its way through the reproductive tract of a hen. That having been said, new layers need time to get their laying machines in synch, so there are lots of oddities that will result, but THREE? I'm doubtful that she's responsible for all of them.
Are you certain nobody else could've done it? Definitely a head-scratcher!

It happened again!
I went out last night to find TWO soft eggs, one whole, one broken, and Fiona standing there looking confused.
hide.gif

I've gotten her to eat some oyster shell, and am hoping this will sort itself out. I don't think she has laid any "normal" eggs since the first incident on Monday. (I have 2 brown egg layers and only been getting one brown egg per day. Based on shape & color, I'm crediting those to Penelope, my BO)

The other starnge thing is they are always at night, and out in the middle of the floor, while her normal eggs were always in the nest boxes. Makes me think it's like having "egg diarrhea". When it's gotta go, it's gotta go...

It's just like when a woman first starts menses, it isn't going to be every month like clockwork for some. Your bird should straighten out soon, but if it goes on for weeks, you may have a problem layer on your hands. Just keep your eye on her for now.

People keep stressing the fact about 25 hour. That may be the average but doesn't account for double yolk or even triple yolk the yolk is the egg and the shell is just the protection. If you can get a triple yolker you can get 3 eggs in 1 day I would segregate her just to make sure it is indeed only 1 bird giving soft eggs

It happened again!
I went out last night to find TWO soft eggs, one whole, one broken, and Fiona standing there looking confused.
hide.gif

I've gotten her to eat some oyster shell, and am hoping this will sort itself out. I don't think she has laid any "normal" eggs since the first incident on Monday. (I have 2 brown egg layers and only been getting one brown egg per day. Based on shape & color, I'm crediting those to Penelope, my BO)

The other starnge thing is they are always at night, and out in the middle of the floor, while her normal eggs were always in the nest boxes. Makes me think it's like having "egg diarrhea". When it's gotta go, it's gotta go...
This is happening to me too! It's so weird, exactly as you say. 2 eggs, both soft, one broken & one not. They're never in the nest, just in the coop like they just dropped out. I don't know if it's the same girl, but I'm also consistently getting a huge double yoke almost every day and I only have three girls. Mine are new layers too.

This literally just happened to one of my girls. As I was looking at this she laid another soft egg. This morning she laid a normal one. Very strange. This isn't the first time either. She has only been laying for about 3 weeks.
This is happening to me too! It's so weird, exactly as you say. 2 eggs, both soft, one broken & one not. They're never in the nest, just in the coop like they just dropped out. I don't know if it's the same girl, but I'm also consistently getting a huge double yoke almost every day and I only have three girls. Mine are new layers too.

Michele, any update on what happened with yours? Mine have been doing this for 3 or 4 days now. Or anyone..

Back
Top Bottom