Multiple hatch dates

mariacp

Chirping
9 Years
Oct 24, 2014
How would you balance the issue of having multiple hatch dates. I got over anxious and incubated two different batches of eggs. I have one group due to hatch 8 days before the other.

During lockdown, will it be ok for me to slip in and turn the younger group like three times a day?

Any chance you could find a second incubator so you could keep the batches separate? The other option would be to stop turning the 2nd batch of eggs 8 days early. I've heard it's ok to stop turning after 2 weeks.

I can set up an incubator temporarily if needed I suppose, but didn't want to go through all that trouble if I could get away with it.

How would you balance the issue of having multiple hatch dates. I got over anxious and incubated two different batches of eggs. I have one group due to hatch 8 days before the other.

During lockdown, will it be ok for me to slip in and turn the younger group like three times a day?

I've done it successfully but I made a rectangle 'box' around the eggs needing turning (no top or bottom, just sides), kept the bator in the bathroom and ran a hot shower until the air temp was close to inside the bator and the humidity was at or very slightly above inside the bator before opening it to turn the eggs. I just slid the rectangle sideways to turn the eggs and closed the lid back up. It was a lot of work and a pain but I had a good hatch rate and I learned from that mistake and now make certain that I have a free hatcher on all my lockdown dates.

Opening the lid 3 times a day will run the risk of shrink wrapping your chicks that are on lockdown. Especially if they've pipped. In the end it's really up to you what you want to do. If you want to just open the lid and turn quickly and close it back up then go for it. Lots of other people would do the same and take their chances. And there's a possibility that it won't hurt anything if you're fast. I personally would go to the extra effort of what I described above, or build a temporary cheap bator. I've made homemade styrobators and it only takes about 20 minutes.

Good luck on your hatch! I'd like to know how it turns out :)

Back
Top Bottom