Murray McMurray Hatchery Outside sourcing?

May 21, 2022
Tennessee
Awaiting an (duckling) order from Mcmurray. Get the tracking number & am shocked to find it's in Cordova TN, instead of Iowa. So curious me, I do a quick search to see what is in Cordova TN. Shockingly I discover Metzer's has just opened up their new facility in Cordova TN.

Is this normal? It feels like false advertisement for lack of better word.
I had read, in the past, that both Hoover & McMurray outsource their turkeys to Privet I think. I thought that was crazy but now I am definitely wondering if that's true.

First time we've ever ordered from any hatchery. We normally get from local stores.

Would love some input.

Awaiting an (duckling) order from Mcmurray. Get the tracking number & am shocked to find it's in Cordova TN, instead of Iowa. So curious me, I do a quick search to see what is in Cordova TN. Shockingly I discover Metzer's has just opened up their new facility in Cordova TN.

Is this normal? It feels like false advertisement for lack of better word.
I had read, in the past, that both Hoover & McMurray outsource their turkeys to Privet I think. I thought that was crazy but now I am definitely wondering if that's true.

First time we've ever ordered from any hatchery. We normally get from local stores.

Would love some input.
Yep, my ducklings got shipped from Cordova yesterday too. Metzers though, what did you get?

Most hatcheries outsource some breeds or species, it's normal. Especially for waterfowl. I am unaware of any hatchery that has all fowl on sight.
Most things that that the uninitiated might find concerning with hatcheries are normal practice, it's just not well known.
While I can definitely understand that business stance.
Why wouldn't they state that?? Make it clear for their buyers.

Especially when watching their Live Instagram yesterday they stated their waterfowl was in another building. (Yeah, STATES away. lolol)

While I can definitely understand that business stance.
Why wouldn't they state that?? Make it clear for their buyers.

Especially when watching their Live Instagram yesterday they stated their waterfowl was in another building. (Yeah, STATES away. lolol)
Honestly, it makes no difference to the buyer and its better for the birds since they aren't being shipped through certain hubs that are known to cause issues.
McMurray (and most hatcheries) do have some breeds on hand but not all.
I think McMurray diversified recently, since bird flu took out several barns two years, they're still rebuilding on hand stock and not putting all there eggs in one basket. :]

Honestly, it makes no difference to the buyer and its better for the birds since they aren't being shipped through certain hubs that are known to cause issues.
McMurray (and most hatcheries) do have some breeds on hand but not all.
I think McMurray diversified recently, since bird flu took out several barns two years, they're still rebuilding on hand stock and not putting all there eggs in one basket. :]
For me it's just the whole non-transparency on it. I thought I was getting stock from their lines. Not Metzer's lines. Not that I have a prob. with either but if I was avoiding a line that could be an issue.
(For instance: I do not want another Barred Rock from Hoover's lines, as we have had 3 so far & all have had problems.
1 was dispatched after stunted growth & only laying a handful of eggs.
1 dispatched bc had health issues thought was egg bound but wasn't. Maybe a tumor?
Her sister needs dispatched because she's got issues like her deceased sister & doesn't lay if at all. Not even 2yrs old either.)

It just feels misleading to hubby & I.
Not that it is a deal breaker or anything just one of those that like "ehh could do better on the communication part", if that makes sense.

Thanks for letting me know that it's common though. Works for me. lol Hoping the ducklings arrive tomorrow morn!

Back
Top Bottom