Murry McMurry Hatchery?

Quote:
thats odd... Most of their breeds you can order 1-100 last time I checked. I have seen some where the minimum is 25! I personally live in a little town, big house small yard, close to my neighbors (like heyy I can watch the neighbors watch their TV close! Not that I do that...
hide.gif
) so I am good enough with 6 chickens until I buy a small house fit for one and a bigg yard
smile.png
more yard+me=MORE CHICKENS!!!
ya.gif

I think she meant their minimum shipping order is 25. McMurray will let you buy 1 of each breed if you want, but will only ship 25+ chicks so they stay warm.
IDLaura

Quote:
thats odd... Most of their breeds you can order 1-100 last time I checked. I have seen some where the minimum is 25! I personally live in a little town, big house small yard, close to my neighbors (like heyy I can watch the neighbors watch their TV close! Not that I do that...
hide.gif
) so I am good enough with 6 chickens until I buy a small house fit for one and a bigg yard
smile.png
more yard+me=MORE CHICKENS!!!
ya.gif

I think she meant their minimum shipping order is 25. McMurray will let you buy 1 of each breed if you want, but will only ship 25+ chicks so they stay warm.
IDLaura

i got only 6 shipped but I think it was because they didnt have to be shipped far with out heat. im not sure though

I only lost one chick in the two orders I got from them, All were healthy. The PROBLEM I had was that two of my BLRWyandotte Roos got undergrown beaks, as far as I know that is genetic, so they went the way of the dinner plate. Even though I lost all but ONE of my BLRWs to a bobcat, and that one a roo, I would not buy that breed from them again for fear of that genitic issue, but the variouse bantam coachins, GLWyandotte and Americanas I got have been fine.

Has anyone bought pullets from them? I'm starting my flock this spring and don't think I'm ready for the work that chicks take. They seem to be one of the only hatcheries with several breeds of pullets.

Has anyone bought pullets from them? I'm starting my flock this spring and don't think I'm ready for the work that chicks take. They seem to be one of the only hatcheries with several breeds of pullets.
Check craigslist for the Dallas area, there is a place in Terrell that sells pullets. They have 19 breeds, have several ages of chicks as well. Prices seem to be pretty fair as well. I am leaning towards purchasing from them in a month or so when I have a small secondary/quarantine coop.

Got 30 chicks plus my mystery chick June 2012. Very happy with them, all were healthy and have done great. I bought Barred Rocks and Black Australorps, straight run. Ended up with 50/50 hen to rooster ratio in the end. The mystery chick was a dark brahma rooster. He is the one rooster we kept, very gentle and quiet. My husband’s grandparents always bought from Murray McMurray clear back in the 1960’s and they were always happy. By the way I got my 2013 catalog in the mail yesterday. They will now ship 15 from April to October, 25 is still the minimum any other time. You can view a catalog online and also order a hard copy to be sent to you.

I bought 25 cornish cross from McMurray and received an extra cornish cross and a mystery chick. Zero loss. They are now 9 weeks old, no leg problems, no tipping and have not required any special attention. They ate immediately and have been very healthy. Would order from them again.

In May 2012 we received 25 female chicks (4 breeds) and received 27, one of which was an "exotic, rare breed" female. All were healthy and had no health issues & popping out high-quality eggs.

I only wish that they would not have added the exotic chick, a buff Polish, because the pullet turned out to be a cockerel. Poor thing, he's the smallest bird in the flock. He loves this hens but they attack him and pick out his head & tail feathers. With all those feathers, he can't see well enough to defend himself, despite my bad homemade "haircut". This spring we are building a small coop for him and getting a couple of polish girls...girls that hopefully understand that he really is a awesome rooster!

A friend just ordered from this hatchery and they sent the chicks out on a Friday and they were not deliverable until Monday and could not be picked up (due to work) until late afternoon. NOT impressed. I brought food, waterer and other needs up to the post office and we got them started eating and drinking but one still died.

Back
Top Bottom