Muscovey developement

coopscritters

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 1, 2013
N.B.Can
I had a beautiful black muscovey female hatch from my pied parents but she does not have any of the meat on her face. She hatched in Aug last year and still has a clear face. Is this odd? Do some just develope the meat later. (What is the correct term for the red on the face?)

Thanks for the info. I have only muscovey and they do not tolerate any of the wild ducks that come to the pond so I'm certain. All of the siblings were looking normal and getting caruncles when they went to their new home. I wanted to keep the black because she is pure black. All other black ones I've seen have some white on them.

Well sort of I own one, Lilly she has minimal facial flesh, i think the breeder said something about old style/show style? i dunno fuzzy on the details as we bought her well over a year ago..and really has little importance to me anyways lol

Funny you say old show style. As I understand it they look for more flesh now the more the better. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I took my breeding pair to a show last year just for fun and was hoping that the black would grow up to help fulfill my competitive spirit.

From pics I've seen of show muscovy they like them to have WAY overgrown caruncles. Like the big hanging down over their eyes caruncles. Silly if you ask me. Its a "show" bird but can't see to save its life.

From pics I've seen of show muscovy they like them to have WAY overgrown caruncles. Like the big hanging down over their eyes caruncles. Silly if you ask me. Its a "show" bird but can't see to save its life.

This is true, not sure if it always was especially for the females. Regardless, there is a 'scovie duck with minimal. Now unfortunately, while she raised the biggest clutch last year they were not her own, so i have no idea whether she'd pass this trait onto young.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom