Muscovies in US - REGULATION CHANGES OPEN FOR COMMENTS - 10/1 update

Quote:
I wonder
idunno.gif
, the hatcheries have licenses don't they ?

my understanding is yes , I do not know if you need a permit , what i was told is its permissable to sell muscovy for meat and eggs. this may be for hatcheries or bizz .
remember she was blunt they are fighting for their right to sell not our right to have them . or breed them. APA is fighting for that,

Simply buying or selling muscovies for food is not sufficient to be staying within the regulations. Permits, marking of birds, and retention of documentation are required:

Hatcheries (and any individuals raising muscovies) will need to get a "sale and disposal" permit in order to legally sell live birds, carcasses, or eggs. [regulations 21.14(c), 21.25(a)] If local laws require local permits or licenses, all of these must be presented to FWS when applying for the permit.

The permit requires marking the birds [regulation 21.14(b)] before 6 weeks of age by [regulation 21.13(b)]:
- removal of hind toe on right foot
- pinioning of wings
- banding of leg
- tattooing on the web of one foot

The methods of marking the birds was not changed. This is the existing regulation for all waterfowl requiring permits (muscovies were added to this list with the new regulations)

Sale of live birds requires the birds are marked regardless of the age [regulation 21.13(c) - also not changed from before]

Anyone selling birds, carcasses, or eggs (with a sale and disposal permit) must keep a record of all sales (FWS Form 3–186) and copies must be given to the recipient and the FWS office that granted the permit [regulation 21.25(b.9)]

Holders of sale and disposal permits are required to report to the FWS annually to report the number of waterfowl kept and the method of marking [regulation 21.25(c)]

Anyone acquiring birds, carcasses, or eggs must obtain them from a person or company with a sale and disposal permit and retain a copy of the documentation (FWS Form 3–186) as long as they have possession of the birds, eggs, or any progeny. [regulation 21.14(f)]

ok this is why i was sent the final I posted . dewinging is not a big deal except to animal rights who think your cutting off a arm . my mallards are dewinged.
this is still a win for us . And we all saw this one comming

I don't consider this a win. If I hatch out 20 ducklings for my table & they never leave this property, I still have to tag, mark etc. all 20 by 6wks though they will be processed at 12-14wks. Excessive & onerous for everyone concerned, IMO, as I so stated in my letter to Dr. Allen... though I doubt it will get read.
hmm.png

Quote:
That's why I asked Dr Allen to remove the permit and/or marking requirement for personal use or streamline the process to make it easier on both owners and FWS (who would need to deal with all the paperwork).

He seems to be pretty good about reading the emails and taking phone calls. He haven't seen any comments about him not responding and I know he read my email because he specifically addressed a section of my email (regarding adding verbiage to the regulations to grant the states and local government the right to regulate muscovies to balance out the changes I suggested. he stated they already can do that so no change to that part of the regulation is needed).

Quote:
I wouldn't call this a win. That's what is scheduled to go into effect on 3/31/10. Nothing in the regulations allows for show birds or pets. Eating eggs might meet the food production requirements (with a permit...), but show birds have no such loophole.

As the regulations are written, you couldn't legally give eggs to your family for free without filing with FWS!

Last edited:
I talked to Dr. Allen. Three things must happen to get the regulation changed. First the FWS must have proof that there is such a thing as domestic Muscovies. The IWBA and APA are working on this. Jim Konecny left me a message yesterday saying the IWBA response was sent. The APA Standard Revision Committee expected to have their information sent this week. Secondly public input must be received by Dr. Allen. Only fourteen responses were received during the comment period. [email protected] is the email address he gave me to have comments sent to him. This is important. Dr. Allen wants input. Third, once the distinction is made between feral domestic Muscovies and invasive wild Muscovies the states with a feral Muscovy problem will have to design a plan to deal with it on a state-wide level. I got the impression that if things go well it may be possible to have Domestic Muscovies exempted from the regulations. Tom

Back
Top Bottom