Muscovies in US - REGULATION CHANGES OPEN FOR COMMENTS - 10/1 update

Currently, you can legally only own the ones you have had since March 31st. However, the FWS is NOT ENFORCING the law, so you can buy and sell ducklings and ducks without any repercussions.

As to what the rule will be once the revisions are completed (Dr. Allen estimates this to be done and published for comment in about four months) we don't know. It is likely that we will be able to own Muscovies but the specifics won't be clear until the revision is published.

Quote:
Call your state's FWS and ask. The regulations are on hold until the revision, except for feral populations. I would suggest getting them and applying for a permit, if and when, we are required to get a permit.

According to Dr. Allen we can continue to sell eggs etc. that the law is not being enforced. We can continue business as usual until the final publication.

Yeah -- he said the feral enforcement is the same as it always has been. What worries me is the interpretation of this by Muscovy duck haters to take it as carte blanche that they can remove/kill/destroy Muscovies and their nests on private/public land such as lakes in subdivisions. There are a lot of unhappy homeowners out there trying to save the Muscovies that live on their ponds. So very sad.

Last edited:
Officially yes, as the regulation has been finalized. But for all intents and purposes you are fine as the regulation 1) is not being enforced at this time and 2) is being amended to permit ownership of Muscovies. We just don't know what form the amendments will take.

After having an e-mail converstion with a Muscovy researcher in Texas, I had discussions with Dr. Allen at FWS. Long story short, I believe that if he gets sufficient support along the lines of the sample letter at the websites below, that domestic Muscovies will be completely exempted!
smile.png

Please visit these websites. I think that the solution proposed is one that you can get behind. If this is the case, then please cut and paste the sample letter and e-mail it to Dr. Allen.

Also, please cross-post this post to other sites.

Thanks!

http://www.westonaprice.org/Oppose-the-Muscovy-Duck-Ban.html

http://muscovyban.blogspot.com/2010/04/rule-by-u-s-fish-and-wildlife-service.html

Back
Top Bottom