Muscovies in US - REGULATION CHANGES OPEN FOR COMMENTS - 10/1 update

Seriously....these ducks are every where in Houston! They get run over all the time on memorial
hmm.png
if you want any just look around there!

Last edited:
That's sad. However, the state's having the issues should be the state's being regulated. Which are few in comparison to the parts of the US that use them for income, food and exhibition. People can't get enough of them in Iowa.
smile.png
We smoked a couple a few months ago. Soo good!!

Quote:

I would encourage you to consider supporting the sample letter to Dr. Allen at the websites below by e-mailing Dr. Allen.

Now is the time for voices of reason to be heard.

Quote:

Brenae Hall and US Senator Blanch Lincoln (Arkansas). Brenae is the president of the Drew County 4-H Poultry Club, Monticello, Arkansas. Senator Lincoln is the Chairperson of the Agricultural Committee of the United States Senate. Senator Lincoln was in Monticello this morning on a campaign stop.

I introduced Brenae to Senator Lincoln. Brenae told her that a new law made it illegal for her to hatch duck eggs as a 4-H project. Senator Lincoln asked what law? I explained about the new F&W regulation on Muscovy Ducks. I had already handed a note to her aid with the regulation info and my contact info. Senator Lincoln asked why the F&W were making laws about domesticated livestock. My answer was because they failed to ask her or anyone in agriculture about the new regulation. She turned to an aid and told them to get my info and find out more about this new regulation.

47716_senator_blanch_lincoln_and_brenae_hall.jpg

Good job Brenae!

I've recently had some phone and e-mail discussions with a Muscovy researcher in Texas and with Dr. George Allen at FWS.

Dr. Allen indicated that he is inclined to revise the rules in line with the spirit and intent of the following:

Amend 21.14 Permit exceptions for captive-bred migratory waterfowl other than mallard ducks to include the following:

Domestic Muscovy ducks have a long history of domestication and have long been raised as livestock both in the United States and around the world. Muscovy ducks that are owned as livestock (for the production of meat, eggs, or breeding stock), pets, or for exhibition shall be considered domestic Muscovy ducks.

No migratory bird permit(s) shall be required to possess, propagate, or sell (as live birds, meat, or eggs) domestic Muscovy ducks.

The intentional release of domestic Muscovy ducks to the wild shall be prohibited.

You may not take Muscovy ducks or their eggs from the wild , unless such taking is provided for elsewhere in this subchapter.

Do not place any additional restrictions on domestic Muscovy ducks other than items 2-4 above.

Keep 21.54 Control order for muscovy ducks in the United States in effect without revision. It seems important that landowners, and Federal, State, Tribal and local wildlife management agencies be able to control feral populations of Muscovy ducks in areas where they are not native without a depredation permit.

I think these are win-win points that help Dr. Allen achieve his objectives, while allowing us to continue to raise Muscovies without a Federal permit, thus protecting one's right to farm.

For a sample letter to send to Dr. Allen visit: http://muscovyban.blogspot.com/2010/04/rule-by-u-s-fish-and-wildlife-service.html

Mac_​

Last edited:
http://www.monticellolive.com/blanche-lincoln-meets-with-4-h-poultry-club-president/

Lincoln
meets with 4-H Poultry Club President

June 3rd, 2010

Tuesday morning, Brenae Hall, president of the Drew County 4-H Poultry Club met and spoke with Senator Blanche Lincoln, about a new US Fish and Game regulation (CFR 21.54) that makes it illegal to propagate Muscovy Ducks.

Brenae is the daughter of Jim and Catherine Hall of Monticello and is an incoming 7th grader at Monticello Middle School.

Back
Top Bottom