Muscovy Duck Feeding

Thank you for your reply. Its helping out a lot. Do you know about how many pounds of corn or wheat is in a gallon? I googled it and can't find an answer, lol. I really should buy a scale, huh'? LOL

I have about 30 chickens, 3 guineas, 5 geese, 'several' muscovies (probably 10+), and 5 Welsh Harlequin ducks., and some stupid dogs who eat chicken food - and I feed two full 8qt buckets of feed (4 gallons) per day. We feed them at night, and by the next morning they finish it up. My mix is custom, from our local feed mill. If you can get a feed mix custom made it will save you a LOT of money.

My mix is corn, oats, soybean meal, mineral mix, alfalfa meal, all ground fine. We also offer free choice oyster shell. The birds all free range, 24/7.

I've heard about 1 cup per bird per day is adequate for chickens, not sure if that's free range or penned. I'd start there, and see how it works. I'd free feed them until they're at least 12 weeks old (butchering size).

You guys are just full of great information. I will talk to our local feed store and ask him if he'd offer me a discount. My hubby is on pretty good terms with him because of all the dog food we buy there. My only thing is, Bob's doesn't offer organic food. Maybe I'll just use his and get organic when we can better afford it. I would love to buy locally because I believe in supporting local farmers. Maybe I can post an ad on LSN--I just thought of that. Thank you guys bunches!

I only know thos now because ive had to lock my birds up recently, but, i have a hen thwt went broody in an empty coop so shes all alone in there. if i fill up a 1gallon bucket of feed itll take her around a week to finish it. she does free range a little but has been mostly confined qnd the pen is only dirt now.

i hope you don't mind if i jump in and ask a question of my own relative to this topic
hide.gif
can you overfeed ducklings and ducks? i'm new to this and have 4 scovy ducklings. i take them out a couple hrs during the day and have them in their pen and coop the rest of the time. i just leave in one of those feeders that you fill up and drops feed when it gets low. is that ok or i'm i giving them too much? should i only feed a few times a day or can they have access to food all the time?
hu.gif

In the spring summer and fall months here in northern Wisconsin, mine are very good foragers. I do not feed them allot in those months. In the winter i give them free choice scratch feed and whole corn. From my local feed mill.. As far as feeding a laying duck. They do fine without any special care. They eat allot of insects and greens.... Well anything they get there beaks on pretty much. So they are rather hardy and self sufficient. I got them mainly to help with the insect population. (which they specialize in). Great fly control for the horses.

I have about 30 chickens, 3 guineas, 5 geese, 'several' muscovies (probably 10+), and 5 Welsh Harlequin ducks., and some stupid dogs who eat chicken food - and I feed two full 8qt buckets of feed (4 gallons) per day. We feed them at night, and by the next morning they finish it up. My mix is custom, from our local feed mill. If you can get a feed mix custom made it will save you a LOT of money.

My mix is corn, oats, soybean meal, mineral mix, alfalfa meal, all ground fine. We also offer free choice oyster shell. The birds all free range, 24/7.

I've heard about 1 cup per bird per day is adequate for chickens, not sure if that's free range or penned. I'd start there, and see how it works. I'd free feed them until they're at least 12 weeks old (butchering size).
lau.gif
My Great Pyrenees eat the bird food, donkey food, rabbit food, cat food...they don't care. They even eat weeds and hay with the ducks and geese. I am thinking...hey...maybe that is cheaper than what I am buying in dog food. LOL!

January

Back
Top Bottom