MUSCOVY DUCK STEPPING ON ROOSTER!!! URGENT

BeepBeepspaghetti

In the Brooder
Aug 16, 2021
I have 1 rooster whit 5 chickens and my Muscovy has a mate whit 9 other growing muscovys that hatched 2 months ago. HES BECOME VERY AGRESSIVE TOWARDS OUR ROOSTER that every time their in contact whit one another, it turns into a BLOODY mess.!!!;(. The rooster fights for self defense but the Muscovy tries To MATE HIM !!!. we’ve tried everything to keep them separated but today the duck broke into the chickens brood somehow, and before we knew it ANOTHER BLOODY MESS, ;( I’m really sad and frustrated idk what to do, the roosters bum is hurt, as if the Muscovy actually mated whit him, the rooster is sitting down a lot, it probably hurts him, and seeing him like that makes me hurt 2. Can someone tell me what to do whit my injured rooster? Will he be okay? And what about the Muscovy duck? He’s not agresive to us, only the rooster and sometimes the duckings . I’m really not trying to get rid of the Muscovy, but if it’s the only solution then I’ll do it. I’m tired and frustrated with this. Idk what to do.

You are going to Have to keep those 2 separated. If your Muscovy penetrated your roo he may have internal injuries( is he bleeding from his vent?) which Also happens when a drake mates with a chicken hen. It can kill them. Wash your Roos bum real good in some warm salt water and place him where he can rest. Hopefully he’ll make it. As for your Muscovy drake if your not wanting to part with him I’d fix your chickens and ducks area where they are totally separated. And when you have ducklings they need to be separated from your drake. Even if there with a mama Muscovy. I fix a place inside the coop using what ever I have available and I place I mama and duckling there for over night. And during the day once everyone comes out for the day mama and ducklings have the whole coop to themselves, week 2 mama gets to bring her brood outside in fencing so everyone can see them but they are safe from everyone I one by week 3 they are out with everyone but I am closely observing. Thankfully my drake hasn’t ever gone after any of the ducklings we’ve had here but I still do all of this because I know it would only take once.
And he respects our rooster. What breed is your rooster?

You are going to Have to keep those 2 separated. If your Muscovy penetrated your roo he may have internal injuries( is he bleeding from his vent?) which Also happens when a drake mates with a chicken hen. It can kill them. Wash your Roos bum real good in some warm salt water and place him where he can rest. Hopefully he’ll make it. As for your Muscovy drake if your not wanting to part with him I’d fix your chickens and ducks area where they are totally separated. And when you have ducklings they need to be separated from your drake. Even if there with a mama Muscovy. I fix a place inside the coop using what ever I have available and I place I mama and duckling there for over night. And during the day once everyone comes out for the day mama and ducklings have the whole coop to themselves, week 2 mama gets to bring her brood outside in fencing so everyone can see them but they are safe from everyone I one by week 3 they are out with everyone but I am closely observing. Thankfully my drake hasn’t ever gone after any of the ducklings we’ve had here but I still do all of this because I know it would only take once.
And he respects our rooster. What breed is your rooster?
I checked the roosters vent, and no it doesn’t seems to be bleeding,

we actually did try the duckling and mom method when the baby’s where weeks old but the drake only pecked at them when they where too close to the mom. Since then when we’re always watching them closely, and nothing severe has happened so far, but I will keep them separated again just in case.

And I really don’t know the name of the roosters breed but here’s a picture of a similar rooster-

Attachments

• 364752B8-3B36-493E-B8C8-BC98CD02CFE4.jpeg
    364752B8-3B36-493E-B8C8-BC98CD02CFE4.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
I’m not sure what breed either just wondering since some breeds are more by aggressive than others. Your drake starts this? How old are your ducklings now? If they have plenty of room to stay away from the drake they on maybe fine now. I’d still be concerned at night if your drake is aggressive towards them.

I’m not sure what breed either just wondering since some breeds are more by aggressive than others. Your drake starts this? How old are your ducklings now? If they have plenty of room to stay away from the drake they on maybe fine now. I’d still be concerned at night if your drake is aggressive towards them.
my rooster is very friendly actually, probably one of the best I’ve ever had.

And yes the drake does start all of this, the moment he makes eye contact whit the rooster he goes WILD.

the ducklings are 2 Months old, their mostly on their own now and the drake mostly stays near the mom, they’re free roamed all day so they do have space to get away in case something happens.

And about the drake at night. He’s actually separated at night from both hens and ducks, we decided to do this when our mama duck was still brooding the eggs in fear he might’ve try to step on her and break the eggs in the process.

That's great you have taken the steps with the drake a night.
Who knows what goes on in the mind of these birds. I don't have any problems with my drake and roosters I have 2 but my drake and Gander. They can't be together from Feb till the end of October. And it's a real pain, They get into some really bad fights and my gander gives up but my Muscovy is relentless and will not stop once he gets the upper hand. These guys have been together 10 yrs and it never ends. My gander who is 14 was the same way with my 10 yr old Muscovy Drake's dad. It's just things we have to deal with if we're going to keep them. I can't get rid of either of mine. No one else would put up with their orneriness. I can tell you this I am always relieved when fall hits.
I wish I had a solution for you other than keeping them apart but I honestly don't only other option I see is rehoming your drake.
:welcome Please share pics when you can. A lot of Muscovy lovers on BYC

That's great you have taken the steps with the drake a night.
Who knows what goes on in the mind of these birds. I don't have any problems with my drake and roosters I have 2 but my drake and Gander. They can't be together from Feb till the end of October. And it's a real pain, They get into some really bad fights and my gander gives up but my Muscovy is relentless and will not stop once he gets the upper hand. These guys have been together 10 yrs and it never ends. My gander who is 14 was the same way with my 10 yr old Muscovy Drake's dad. It's just things we have to deal with if we're going to keep them. I can't get rid of either of mine. No one else would put up with their orneriness. I can tell you this I am always relieved when fall hits.
I wish I had a solution for you other than keeping them apart but I honestly don't only other option I see is rehoming your drake.
:welcome Please share pics when you can. A lot of Muscovy lovers on BYC
Thank u so so much !! Your help is greatly appreciated. :) I’ll share some pics of my Muscovys here when I can ☺️ Thanks again for all the tips and help.

Drakes and roosters will display certain aggressive behaviors. Your drake has figured out your rooster is a male and he has to show dominance. The worst part is if the drake gets a good hold and the rooster cannot get loose, the drake can tear the rooster apart.
The only solution is to keep them separate. They could outgrow this though - how old is the drake?
I had a rooster when my drake was a juvenile and they couldn't get along. I had to keep them separate at all times. The rooster died during a severe cold spell in the winter. But, I have a cockerel right now and he's pretty flighty so he runs from everything except my runner ducks. 🤣 My drake doesn't even know what it is. Lol
I didn't have to separate my drake from his babies, but he never even paid them much attention. He never pecked at them or anything. The juvie drakes from that batch are brats and I have to keep them separated. It's never ending poultry drama around here.

@BeepBeepspaghetti how's your roo this morning?

I have to tell you this story. Muscovy females when broody as you probably already know can be fierce . I have 2 broody right now neither has eggs but that doesn't stop them :rolleyes: Well Dolly the Muscovy hates our main rooster who is king over the barn yard except for the geese they put him in his place ,well this started last year when Dolly had ducklings when she would come out she would go after our roo. He wasn't messing with her ducklings she just picked him out to go after, once the ducklings are on their own she stops. Well this year none of the ducks were allowed to hatch, I know mean ole me but anyway she is after him again, he tries to fight her which is hilarious because she doesn't care she just keeps on chasing him. She has never caught him thank goodness he's 12years old but still fast. But I tell ya watching these birds is more fun than going to the circus.
Yep like @Crazy Maizie says it's never-ending drama.

Last edited:
Drakes and roosters will display certain aggressive behaviors. Your drake has figured out your rooster is a male and he has to show dominance. The worst part is if the drake gets a good hold and the rooster cannot get loose, the drake can tear the rooster apart.
The only solution is to keep them separate. They could outgrow this though - how old is the drake?
I had a rooster when my drake was a juvenile and they couldn't get along. I had to keep them separate at all times. The rooster died during a severe cold spell in the winter. But, I have a cockerel right now and he's pretty flighty so he runs from everything except my runner ducks. 🤣 My drake doesn't even know what it is. Lol
I didn't have to separate my drake from his babies, but he never even paid them much attention. He never pecked at them or anything. The juvie drakes from that batch are brats and I have to keep them separated. It's never ending poultry drama around here.
It really is never ending drama 😅. When I first introduced my drake to the rooster everything was calm, no fighting nothing at allcompared to the fights they have now . It was like that for a few months until BOOM. Fighting broke out.

my drake is 1 year and a half old.

Thankfully we’ve been there to stop the fights before they got a lot more gruesome, making sure their separated was hard at first but we made it work. :)

We where eerie at first about the drakes reaction the his children, whe kept the reunion from afar, and when the ducklings where a bit more grown we let them free roam for their first time, the drake mostly just wanted to step on the mom 😅 since he couldn’t when she was broody. He mostly stuck whit mom while eyeing the ducklings in a “ who are u “ manner. Time has passed an all he does is peck at the ducklings when their too close to mom or getting in his way . He’s really small tempered 🙄 but we make sure he doesn’t go as far as he does whit the rooster.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom