Muscovy Eggs Pipping: One egg is "bruised" on pointed end

jofanx

Songster
5 Years
Oct 30, 2015
This was a clutch of 6, two were duds and never developed so I had 4 make it to the end so far.

While I was out of the house, 1 pipped but died in shell without absorbing the yolk. 1 hatched today and has been put in the brooder already. Two have not internally pipped but one of them has what looks like bruising on the pointed end. I'm afraid that it might be malpositioned and trying to pip from the wrong end (last year I had this happen and a few eggs died because they started pipping earlier than expected and I didn't turn off the auto-turner in time--there were "bruises" where they attempted to pip and one had actually managed to externally pip before it gave up.)

I was wondering how long I should wait until I try to open a small safety hole where the bruising on the egg is. I first noticed it last night at 10pm--it's been 12 hours. The duckling is still alive so far and moving in there.

It's a Janoel 12, temps at 37.5 C (99.5 F), humidity is at 50% (I'm doing dry incubation and hatch this time--I live where spring is pretty humid.) It's day 32 for them.

Any help would be appreciated!

Two of my hens are also brooding on 11 eggs outside as well which should be due any day so even if only the single one that hatched survives, it won't be alone for long.

This was a clutch of 6, two were duds and never developed so I had 4 make it to the end so far.

While I was out of the house, 1 pipped but died in shell without absorbing the yolk. 1 hatched today and has been put in the brooder already. Two have not internally pipped but one of them has what looks like bruising on the pointed end. I'm afraid that it might be malpositioned and trying to pip from the wrong end (last year I had this happen and a few eggs died because they started pipping earlier than expected and I didn't turn off the auto-turner in time--there were "bruises" where they attempted to pip and one had actually managed to externally pip before it gave up.)

I was wondering how long I should wait until I try to open a small safety hole where the bruising on the egg is. I first noticed it last night at 10pm--it's been 12 hours. The duckling is still alive so far and moving in there.

It's a Janoel 12, temps at 37.5 C (99.5 F), humidity is at 50% (I'm doing dry incubation and hatch this time--I live where spring is pretty humid.) It's day 32 for them.

Any help would be appreciated!

Two of my hens are also brooding on 11 eggs outside as well which should be due any day so even if only the single one that hatched survives, it won't be alone for long.

With that description, I'm not sure I would attempt assisting. the pointed end is heavy blood veining end. if it's "bruised" then the chick likely hit a pretty major blood vein and likely either bled out or drowned. and if it survived those 2 possibilities going in to help in that area it's more likely to kill than help.

if you choose to go in anyway I would suggest starting at the air cell and checking the inner membrane for the blood to recede before slowly making your way up the side to where you think the bill is. it's way easier and safer to start at the aircell because you can separate the 2 membranes easily there which makes the inner membrane easy to see. going in blind in the pointed end is not anything I would ever attempt. (coming from someone who has only had 1 hatch where they didn't assist)

:hugs

hope your bebe is going to be alright. :fl

I need help with my research! I am planning to hatch cortunix quail from an incubator, the incubator is on it's way, I just need some tips about the incubation process and what I will have to do step by step. I did some research but I need more information. The incubator is a self Turner so I got the turning part out of the way.

Thank you for your response! I was afraid that's what it was. Given that one has already hatched, I'll open the air cell in the bruised one slightly, moisten the membrane and see if I can see anything. I'm guessing if there's no bill at the big end, it'll likely suffocate...

I need help with my research! I am planning to hatch cortunix quail from an incubator, the incubator is on it's way, I just need some tips about the incubation process and what I will have to do step by step. I did some research but I need more information. The incubator is a self Turner so I got the turning part out of the way.

I hatched some coturnix earlier this year and they're easy peasy (compared to muscovies anyway.) Get a second hydrometer/thermometer to monitor. I kept the temp at 99.5F and humidity at 45-50%, stopped turning 3 days before day 17. Had 14 out of 17 hatch. I basically forgot about them on the counter until my alarm rang and told me to take out the autoturner.

I hatched some coturnix earlier this year and they're easy peasy (compared to muscovies anyway.) Get a second hydrometer/thermometer to monitor. I kept the temp at 99.5F and humidity at 45-50%, stopped turning 3 days before day 17. Had 14 out of 17 hatch. I basically forgot about them on the counter until my alarm rang and told me to take out the autoturner.
Is it really that simple?

Is it really that simple?

Yeah, as long as there are no temp/humidity fluctuations, they're real simple. From pip to zip is also very quick as well. About a day, if even that.

Get a coffee grinder or food processor. Gamebird starter crumbles that has high protein--I used 24%. They're so little they can't eat it if it's not pretty much fine dust. Make sure your water is either real shallow with pebbles in it or they can only fit their heads in to drink. If you can get a hamster bottle, that's even better. They use it real well. Drowning and not being able to compete so failing to thrive is the two major issues you have to watch out for. They double their size almost every two days. It's crazy how fast they grow. If one looks like it's not able to compete with the others, separate it with just a friend or two until it catches up.

With that description, I'm not sure I would attempt assisting. the pointed end is heavy blood veining end. if it's "bruised" then the chick likely hit a pretty major blood vein and likely either bled out or drowned. and if it survived those 2 possibilities going in to help in that area it's more likely to kill than help.

if you choose to go in anyway I would suggest starting at the air cell and checking the inner membrane for the blood to recede before slowly making your way up the side to where you think the bill is. it's way easier and safer to start at the aircell because you can separate the 2 membranes easily there which makes the inner membrane easy to see. going in blind in the pointed end is not anything I would ever attempt. (coming from someone who has only had 1 hatch where they didn't assist)

:hugs

hope your bebe is going to be alright. :fl

Opened the big end slightly and moistened the membrane--there's actually bill there! Vessels haven't receded yet. I just put it back. There was also bruising on the side of the egg and it looks like there is a little blood pooling around there. Not sure how but I think it must have ruptured a vessel... I'll be really happy if it survives but I know that doesn't look great. Not going to mess with it further.

I'll keep you updated and thank you for the help!

Yeah, as long as there are no temp/humidity fluctuations, they're real simple. From pip to zip is also very quick as well. About a day, if even that.

Get a coffee grinder or food processor. Gamebird starter crumbles that has high protein--I used 24%. They're so little they can't eat it if it's not pretty much fine dust. Make sure your water is either real shallow with pebbles in it or they can only fit their heads in to drink. If you can get a hamster bottle, that's even better. They use it real well. Drowning and not being able to compete so failing to thrive is the two major issues you have to watch out for. They double their size almost every two days. It's crazy how fast they grow. If one looks like it's not able to compete with the others, separate it with just a friend or two until it catches up.
Thanks so much! That's so helpful! I just got way more knowledge lol!

Back
Top Bottom