Mushy Chick Disease? What is going on here?

shaneensmith

Songster
Nov 26, 2018
Quesnel, BC
Ok, so me again! Sorry :(

FIRST QUESTION: can I take all the eggs out of the incubator and clean it? It's just so gross and stinky in there. There are 8 more eggs to hatch - 5 have pipped holes.

SECOND QUESTION:
This chick hatched last night at about 11 PM - and its snuggling so hard - its still super wet, can't stand, it's leg keeps shaking - and I am not so sure its umbilical cord looks normal? Please help :( Poor little thing.

VIDEO

20190507_124217.jpg

That looks like a herniated navel to me. You can try to keep Neosporin (with no pain meds added) on it to avoid infection, but chicks with this condition are very fragile so I wouldn't be surprised if he dropped off suddenly.

Also I don't know if others would recommend this (tell me I'm crazy if this is a terrible idea) but if I saw the chick was still this wet I'd probably blow dry it without heat to fluff it up so it could start regulating its own temperature better.

OH MAN!!!!! :( I don't have a blow dryer otherwise I probably would have! I took it out and put it on a heating pad under some towels and its loving live sleeping and tweeting - tried to give a bit of water - seems unintersted. Poor little dude.

Last edited:
Hope he pulls through. :fl
HEY ALL HE OR SHE PULLED THROUGH!!! i put her in a cooking pot with a heating pad and blanket made it super cozy and she dried out and is now walking eating and drinking!

And i just finished a 3 day process of an assisted hatch on another turkey poult turned the wrong way and pipped the wrong end of the egg...yay me!!

HEY ALL HE OR SHE PULLED THROUGH!!! i put her in a cooking pot with a heating pad and blanket made it super cozy and she dried out and is now walking eating and drinking!

And i just finished a 3 day process of an assisted hatch on another turkey poult turned the wrong way and pipped the wrong end of the egg...yay me!!

Glad to hear he pulled through!

Back
Top Bottom