Musings of a twenty-something hobby hatcher: Whole Foods Fertile Chicken Eggs / Rock Island -- UPDAT

Too funny about the kids. Lets hope those kids continue to be of the pleasant sort. The ones who look, and enjoy feeding the animals, instead of the nasty sort who like to chase animals with sticks and otherwise terrorize them. Sounds horrid, but there are lots of the latter kind out there, who's parents never taught them how to interact with animals.

You should give it a try, you never know! I went along with my SO's family to Reno and ended up celebrating my recent birthday and college graduation there. It was a wonderful coincidence to also know that BYC members from both California and Nevada were able to find fertile chicken eggs at their local grocery stores... SO I couldn't resist calling around and checking it out for myself while I was there.

Great idea about the compost. I have a composter in my backyard, next to the coop, that I plan on throwing the old eggs into. I figured I'd crack them first, and then give the composter a few good turns... I will have to keep you updated on the smell should I end up bombing myself with bad egg. P-U!

My SO and I weren't expecting any of the eggs to develop... and certainly not as much as I think might be developing now. He really wants a jumbo brown egg layer, so he's going to keep one for himself. The rest will be gifted to our large extended farming friends and family that we both have (or local BYC members).

You will have to keep me updated if you find some eggs! Where are you located?

Have you planted any seeds in your garden yet?
I am definitely going to try.
I live in Florida and Whole foods has been here a while but Trader Joe's is just now coming here. I will check out both. Backup plan is to get eggs from craigslist.

There was a lake near where I used to live and when the ducks forgot their eggs you could smell the bad ones a half mile away. Unruly teenagers and unlucky dogs would sometimes break a few eggs. Muscovies lay a lot of eggs and we would find nests with 15-20 eggs and no broody duck anywhere. When they hatched the ducklings were the cutest things.

The old threads about TJ eggs said the chickens were some sort of leghorn hybrid but they were the white eggs, I am curious what you will hatch. So many good brown egg layers. It would be nice to get some jumbo egg layers.Likely they will be from Red or Black sex links, but might also be from australorps or who knows what.

I used last years compost to plant some tomatoes, potatoes, and beets in February. I lost a lot of the beets but the survivors should be ready in a few weeks. The potatoes and tomatoes are both giving me huge plants but the tomatoes only started to blossom and the potatoes usually do very well but I am trying the bucket method this year, so fingers crossed. I also planted cucumbers and marigolds last month and I have high hopes for them both. The marigolds are for the chooks because I heard they like them and it makes their egg yolks nice and colorful.

I can't wait to see how many make it to day 7. Good luck!

Last edited:
Too funny about the kids. Lets hope those kids continue to be of the pleasant sort. The ones who look, and enjoy feeding the animals, instead of the nasty sort who like to chase animals with sticks and otherwise terrorize them. Sounds horrid, but there are lots of the latter kind out there, who's parents never taught them how to interact with animals.

Lazy Gardener, unfortunately, I know all too well what you mean. It is horrid, but it's a serious problem with some children. I do not tolerate animal cruelty on any level, and I am of the opinion that how someone treats animals/all forms of life can tell a lot about who they are. Granted, it's different to simply be afraid of spiders or not like chickens or cats. It's another issue entirely to actually do harm, and enjoy doing it...

Last edited:
I am definitely going to try.
I live in Florida and Whole foods has been here a while but Trader Joe's is just now coming here. I will check out both. Backup plan is to get eggs from craigslist.
I used last years compost to plant some tomatoes, potatoes, and beets in February. I lost a lot of the beets but the survivors should be ready in a few weeks. The potatoes and tomatoes are both giving me huge plants but the tomatoes only started to blossom and the potatoes usually do very well but I am trying the bucket method this year, so fingers crossed. I also planted cucumbers and marigolds last month and I have high hopes for them both. The marigolds are for the chooks because I heard they like them and it makes their egg yolks nice and colorful.

I can't wait to see how many make it to day 7. Good luck!

That is awesome, let me know if you find any at your store locations!

I certainly don't want to egg bomb the neighborhood, so we'll see. I was out in the yard this morning, giving my chickens some corn, and the neighbor was folding his laundry and watching. Everyone could use a little chicken therapy! They're so goofy and fun to watch.

Your garden sounds wonderful! Thanks for the tip with the Marigolds! I'm going to have to plant a bunch now and give them a try!

EGG UPDATE: I began candling this morning, moving eggs around, before running out of time; however, I can say with confidence that AT LEAST TWENTY-FOUR EGGS ARE DEVELOPING. I'll confirm later, when it's dark.

wee.gif

Last edited:
I love watching my chickens. I agree they are fun and goofy and very therapeutic.

The garden is so I can have fresh vegetables and helps to feed the girls. I do enjoy it but it is not a pretty garden only practical. If I had the space and the resources I would make a huge english style maze garden with waist high beds full of everything that will grow here. Oh, well...I got what I got. I've been hearing about marigolds for a while and I'm not sure if they will like them but they love all the wildflowers I pick for them so I think it will be ok.

I will be making the trip to Whole Foods tomorrow to see what they have. Thanks for the tip about the julian calendar number thingy.

The Whole Foods in my area does NOT sell fertile eggs. Lots of fancy shmancy types but no fertile eggs. I will try the Trader Joe's next and see what they have.

That is awesome, let me know if you find any at your store locations!

I certainly don't want to egg bomb the neighborhood, so we'll see. I was out in the yard this morning, giving my chickens some corn, and the neighbor was folding his laundry and watching. Everyone could use a little chicken therapy! They're so goofy and fun to watch.

Your garden sounds wonderful! Thanks for the tip with the Marigolds! I'm going to have to plant a bunch now and give them a try!

EGG UPDATE: I began candling this morning, moving eggs around, before running out of time; however, I can say with confidence that AT LEAST TWENTY-FOUR EGGS ARE DEVELOPING. I'll confirm later, when it's dark.

wee.gif
SO exciting! Can't wait to see the results of your gamble! :)

I just got back from Trader Joe's in Winter Park, Florida and no fertile eggs there. On a good note, I received my thermostat for my incubator and I only need my hygrometer to get started. It looks like I will be dealing with Craigslist for my eggs. I really wanted to do grocery store eggs so I will be following this thread and hoping for the best for you.

25 EGGS ARE DEVELOPING!
I have the rest inside of a bucket...and I plan on burying them when I return home from work today! I am shocked that so many have made it. Ironically, most of the JUMBO eggs made it! Very little of the large and extra large developed. Interesting, no?

I'm using the dry incubation method, keeping humidity around 30 percent. They are all sitting comfortable in a Janoel 48 with an automatic turner and fan... Temperature is reading a consistent 37.7 celsius.

@ChookRanger sorry to hear that you couldn't find any eggs from Whole Foods or Trader Joe's. They don't carry them at any locations in my area, either. When I called, I was told that they did not "sell well enough" in my area, and that they were phased out years ago... They did give me the option of ordering 15 DOZEN (minimum) and having them shipped fresh and direct to MY location... which would be a GREAT idea if I could find more Washington/Oregon participants to join in with me.

On the bright side, you would probably have better luck with Craigslist eggs anyway! I probably got extremely lucky, because I've heard a lot of members having very little to no luck with Trader Joes/Whole Foods eggs.

Last edited:
I love watching my chickens. I agree they are fun and goofy and very therapeutic.

The garden is so I can have fresh vegetables and helps to feed the girls. I do enjoy it but it is not a pretty garden only practical.
While you may not have the space or time for a beautiful flower garden, you can pack lots of beauty into your vegetable garden. My garden is not complete without Calendula, nasturtium, and marigolds. You can also easily tuck lots of other flowers in here and there: try gladiola, dahlia (especially the shorter ones), cosmos, (again, there's a short variety that grows about 12" tall.) How bout some sun flowers. They pack a lot of pleasure into a single plant. Flowers for you, seeds for the girls.

Back
Top Bottom