mustard to rust color poop, worried, please help

my vets office doesn't do chickns, does anybody else have any suggestions?
If you have a regular vet like I do who does not see chickens, he or she might want to make some money by just doing a fecal float on a stool sample. My vet used to charge $5, but now it is $25, which is about average. All they need to look for is to tell you what worms are present. The cecal worm is the one that causes blackhead. If you can't get it diagnosed you can always treat it anyway. The treatment is to give Safeguard liquid goat wormer or horse paste 50mg per each 2.2 lbs of body weight for 3 days in a row, then repeat 10 days later for 3 more days. And give metronidazole (Flagyl or Fishzole) 250 mg by mouth daily for 5 days. Fishzole is available online at fish stores, and Petco also sells it by another name. Just ask for metronidazole.

If you have a regular vet like I do who does not see chickens, he or she might want to make some money by just doing a fecal float on a stool sample.  My vet used to charge $5, but now it is $25, which is about average.  All they need to look for is to tell you what worms are present.  The cecal worm is the one that causes blackhead.  If you can't get it diagnosed you can always treat it anyway.  The treatment is to give Safeguard liquid goat wormer or horse paste 50mg per each 2.2 lbs of body weight for 3 days in a row, then repeat 10 days later for 3 more days.  And give metronidazole (Flagyl or Fishzole) 250 mg by mouth daily for 5 days.  Fishzole is available online at fish stores, and Petco also sells it by another name.  Just ask for metronidazole.

I have valbazen, is that as good as safeguard? and should I worm first or the fish zole first?

Quote: Valbazen kills cecal worms, I can assure you of that. Cecal poop is normally excreted 8-10 times a day (by one bird.) Eggcessive is correct, a sample(s) should be brought to a vet. Just go ahead and take a fecal sample to the vet and tell them to take a look at it under a microscope for worm eggs. They know what type of eggs to look for and will let you know what type they are. Calling by phone doesnt do any good, they always say they dont do chickens...but they understand $$. A fecal test is cheaper than spending money on fishzole.
Also just for your info; if your birds were infected with the protozoa that causes blackhead, your birds would be lethargic, not eating/drinking/laying etc...

Ok thanks everybody.
I took 3 poop samples to vet today, no parasites.

I had a sick cockerel, very near death. Took him in to. They put him down and did a necropsy, he had a bad liver.

Old doc Sam has chickens himself and said a chicken aint worth 10 bucks, and he couldn't charge me much because of that..
Todays visit was free. He didn't even charge for the euthanization medicine or the three fecal float tests.

Ok thanks everybody.
I took 3 poop samples to vet today, no parasites.

I had a sick cockerel, very near death. Took him in to. They put him down and did a necropsy, he had a bad liver.

Old doc Sam has chickens himself and said a chicken aint worth 10 bucks, and he couldn't charge me much because of that..
Todays visit was free. He didn't even charge for the euthanization medicine or the three fecal float tests.
Sorry for your loss... Sounds like blackhead might have been the cause of death? Did the liver have spots on it?

-Kathy

Last edited:
I'm hoping I can chime in here! I just went out to give my chickens their second watering today and grab the eggs, I noticed inside the coop that there is rusty colored poop. I too am getting nervous. We live in MI and the winter weather is not forgiving and I am concerned for the birds with the weather change. I fill their water twice a day because it keeps freezing....we have not changed their diet except for the past two days I have taken them some corn......the stool is is not runny, has the same consistency as the normal stools, just the change in color....any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom