My 2 baby chicks hatched with short legs and it's adorable!

Only saw little few pictures of baby chickens with short legs. Anytime I searched for that, majority of the results would be "baby chickens born with splayed legs".
History:
I have a rooster whose legs are also short, and I never thought he'd actually get to mate with a hen because they'd beat him up. He's not a tame rooster meaning I can't catch or pick him up, or even hand feed him food. My chickens are all free range, they breed with whoever and lay eggs wherever (well it's always in our yard they lay eggs) along with whichever baby chickens survives gets to become hens or roosters, cause we got cats, rats, and possums as pests that take and eat the unfortunate chicks until we can close and gate our yard. Until our yard gets closer up, their won't be random amounts of baby chickens hatching unless we want them too, soo they're free to do whatever they want until.
Anyways
The rooster survived, bred with a hen who hid and layed her eggs somewhere. Three weeks later, four chicks appeared, 2 were the short legs and the other 2 were normal average baby chicks, I took the short legs and 1 of the normal chicks cause I found him on his back couldn't move or keep up with his mom.
Also I forgot to mention, they're not special bred roosters and hens, they're just plain? Honestly I have no idea what kind of fowls we have? They were always here before I even existed and they're just descendants from their parents (whatever kind of fowls they were). My mom has no idea, she said chickens were already here before they settled down and started a family. So yup I just call them regular average fowls.
They just kept breeding and breeding to the generation of roosters and hens I know today.
So ya now we got these adorable genetic mutation chicks with short legs. Oh ya, I thought this black and white baby chick was a silkie cause of how fluffed he looked and how short he was, but now I realize he also has that short leg mutation lol. Sorry for this long storybook I wrote
View attachment 2017887View attachment 2017891View attachment 2017892View attachment 2017893View attachment 2017901View attachment 2017902View attachment 2017904
I agree.. they look so cute.. But thinking ahead. I wonder hiw they look like when they all be chickens already.. are they still short legged. I guess its fine though..

Only saw little few pictures of baby chickens with short legs. Anytime I searched for that, majority of the results would be "baby chickens born with splayed legs".
History:
I have a rooster whose legs are also short, and I never thought he'd actually get to mate with a hen because they'd beat him up. He's not a tame rooster meaning I can't catch or pick him up, or even hand feed him food. My chickens are all free range, they breed with whoever and lay eggs wherever (well it's always in our yard they lay eggs) along with whichever baby chickens survives gets to become hens or roosters, cause we got cats, rats, and possums as pests that take and eat the unfortunate chicks until we can close and gate our yard. Until our yard gets closer up, their won't be random amounts of baby chickens hatching unless we want them too, soo they're free to do whatever they want until.
Anyways
The rooster survived, bred with a hen who hid and layed her eggs somewhere. Three weeks later, four chicks appeared, 2 were the short legs and the other 2 were normal average baby chicks, I took the short legs and 1 of the normal chicks cause I found him on his back couldn't move or keep up with his mom.
Also I forgot to mention, they're not special bred roosters and hens, they're just plain? Honestly I have no idea what kind of fowls we have? They were always here before I even existed and they're just descendants from their parents (whatever kind of fowls they were). My mom has no idea, she said chickens were already here before they settled down and started a family. So yup I just call them regular average fowls.
They just kept breeding and breeding to the generation of roosters and hens I know today.
So ya now we got these adorable genetic mutation chicks with short legs. Oh ya, I thought this black and white baby chick was a silkie cause of how fluffed he looked and how short he was, but now I realize he also has that short leg mutation lol. Sorry for this long storybook I wrote
View attachment 2017887View attachment 2017891View attachment 2017892View attachment 2017893View attachment 2017901View attachment 2017902View attachment 2017904
I have a 2 week old bantam with super shorty legs. Sometimes she falls onto her back when pruning her feathers. She Can’t get back up and I’m afraid it’ll happen when I’m not home and she’s get trampled but I hate to separate her 24/7. Will she grow out of this? She’s super tiny all around but a happy girl

Back
Top Bottom