My 4 hens have not laid an egg in months.

JoCoKS

Chirping
May 13, 2019
I have 3 Salmon Faverolles hens that were hatched on May 6, 2019 and a Bielefelder hen hatched here on January 1, 2020 and they all stopped laying around the same time and I was wondering if they were doing this because they do not like the big beautiful Bielefelder rooster I hatched April 18, 2020. I have some chickens since I was a child and they all laid eggs like crazy like these 4 hens and they just stopped. I doubt I could even give them away since they do not lay eggs and I would not like to think my pets would be some one's dinner. It would be easier on me and my new Bielefelder family of 5 hens and one rooster hatched October 18, 2020 to not have to deal with the problems of adding some new chickens. They are all very healthy hens so I do not know what is wrong. I have no idea why they all stopped at the same time. I am building a brand new chicken "home" and I do not know if that is the problem for my Bielefelders. Like the coop the chickens are in now the floor, 4 ways and the ceiling are insulted. The interior will also be painted in and out. This new coop is 8 feet by 42 inches and they will have access to the same large private chicken yard that is fenced and full of Rose of Sharon. The only difference is the new coop will have a seamless vinyl floor covering with a vinyl cove base all around for easy cleaning and I am insulting a electrical system and not just an extension cord like the other coop. The new coop will have a small exhaust fan with an on and off switch by the man door, it will have an automatic door to let them in and out, it has an electric light with a switch again by the door and an electric outlet in the coop. The two nesting boxes are low so if one or more has baby chicks they can get to the floor very easy because the board in front of the nesting boxes can removed to let the chicks get out easily and get back in.
From the description of my chicken coops I will tell you I am a very retired Professional Architect. Over the 43+ years my wife and I have lived in our home I added a new large Kitchen, Breakfast Room, Laundry in this 35 by 15 foot addition. One of the main motivations on adding this edition was because in the old kitchen we had power problems be planned too have a large family ( 3 very big muscular sons and one very beautiful daughter) and I did not want to keep going to the basement to do laundry when my wife was laid up and the other was a lack of electrical plugs in the existing kitchens. Now no more then two outlets are on the same circuit and we now have 57 breakers and we never blow a fuse. The old kitchen I converted into a Family Room. I remodeled the two existing bathrooms with the one serving the Master Bedroom was done for a handicap person and I am glad I did that because a drunk with a suspended license for drunk driving rear ended my SUV in a 30mph zone "totaling my vehicle and destroying my lower spine." A quote from one of my many doctors that have completed 8 surgeries to fix my spine. The last one the installed a pump to distribute medicine to my spine. The accident happened on November 5, 2015 and I am still in hell and I will have another surgery early this year.
PLEASE DO NOT DRINK AND DRIVE, this accident occurred on a nice sunny afternoon and I had nothing wrong with me at the time of the accident and now I have everyday something wrong and I am now depressed losing my life and I go thru hell with a Cain to stay on my feet. Now my very white body has a lot of black & blue marks from falling or someone trying to get me up to my feet.

As far as your Salmon Faverolles, mine have also not laid in months but have not ever been winter layers. I am sure Celeste and Camille will resume in the spring. Of my 19 laying hens of various breeds, only three are giving me any eggs right now. It's been an odd winter.

Having an old house where all the electrical works sounds like heaven. The electricity in this old farmhouse suddenly was like playing Whack A Mole in late November. If the TV was on in the living room, the microwave would shut off in the kitchen. Once the microwave revived on its own, hours later, it would shut off a space heater in the library. It took four electrician visits and lots of money to fix. But, knock on wood, it seems to be okay now.

Your accident sounds much more serious than mine. I had a donkey severely fracture my pelvis in two place in 2015. I could not walk for three months and could not walk well for another three. I still have residual balance issues (I try to find it amusing when I want to stand up and go one direction, but my right side takes a different route). There's never a day when my right hip area doesn't ache, and when I overdo -- as I often do -- it feels like someone is stabbing me with a knife.

It's really easy to get depressed when you go from healthy with no problems to not being able to make your body do what you want or to have a day without pain. I had a lot of dark days. especially since I was not able to stay in my own home; there were days when I ached just to be in my own bed.

I can't imagine what you are going through. I hope your next surgery goes well. I believe in prayer, and if it doesn't offend you, I will say some for you.

Wish you well and a successful operation on you’re spine.

You’re chickens probably will lay again as soon as the day length comes over 14 hours a day. Don’t stress on that issue! They’ll be fine.
Thank you.

I have 3 Salmon Faverolles hens that were hatched on May 6, 2019 and a Bielefelder hen hatched here on January 1, 2020 and they all stopped laying around the same time and I was wondering if they were doing this because they do not like the big beautiful Bielefelder rooster I hatched April 18, 2020. I have some chickens since I was a child and they all laid eggs like crazy like these 4 hens and they just stopped. I doubt I could even give them away since they do not lay eggs and I would not like to think my pets would be some one's dinner. It would be easier on me and my new Bielefelder family of 5 hens and one rooster hatched October 18, 2020 to not have to deal with the problems of adding some new chickens. They are all very healthy hens so I do not know what is wrong. I have no idea why they all stopped at the same time. I am building a brand new chicken "home" and I do not know if that is the problem for my Bielefelders. Like the coop the chickens are in now the floor, 4 ways and the ceiling are insulted. The interior will also be painted in and out. This new coop is 8 feet by 42 inches and they will have access to the same large private chicken yard that is fenced and full of Rose of Sharon. The only difference is the new coop will have a seamless vinyl floor covering with a vinyl cove base all around for easy cleaning and I am insulting a electrical system and not just an extension cord like the other coop. The new coop will have a small exhaust fan with an on and off switch by the man door, it will have an automatic door to let them in and out, it has an electric light with a switch again by the door and an electric outlet in the coop. The two nesting boxes are low so if one or more has baby chicks they can get to the floor very easy because the board in front of the nesting boxes can removed to let the chicks get out easily and get back in.
From the description of my chicken coops I will tell you I am a very retired Professional Architect. Over the 43+ years my wife and I have lived in our home I added a new large Kitchen, Breakfast Room, Laundry in this 35 by 15 foot addition. One of the main motivations on adding this edition was because in the old kitchen we had power problems be planned too have a large family ( 3 very big muscular sons and one very beautiful daughter) and I did not want to keep going to the basement to do laundry when my wife was laid up and the other was a lack of electrical plugs in the existing kitchens. Now no more then two outlets are on the same circuit and we now have 57 breakers and we never blow a fuse. The old kitchen I converted into a Family Room. I remodeled the two existing bathrooms with the one serving the Master Bedroom was done for a handicap person and I am glad I did that because a drunk with a suspended license for drunk driving rear ended my SUV in a 30mph zone "totaling my vehicle and destroying my lower spine." A quote from one of my many doctors that have completed 8 surgeries to fix my spine. The last one the installed a pump to distribute medicine to my spine. The accident happened on November 5, 2015 and I am still in hell and I will have another surgery early this year.
PLEASE DO NOT DRINK AND DRIVE, this accident occurred on a nice sunny afternoon and I had nothing wrong with me at the time of the accident and now I have everyday something wrong and I am now depressed losing my life and I go thru hell with a Cain to stay on my feet. Now my very white body has a lot of black & blue marks from falling or someone trying to get me up to my feet.
Wow, I hope they are able to eventually help you. That must be so depressing.I think a lot of times chickens if they don’t like some thing that is different, they may stop laying for a little bit some chickens are more wary than others

Back
Top Bottom