My 4 pound Yorkie got bit by a rat.

vclark321

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 30, 2011
Bonney Lake
I have a 13 year old Yorkie who I am guessing got bit in the face while trying to kill a rat. It is under his left eye & I found it after it swelled his face up. I ended up popping the darn thing & I clean the wound daily. It is healing nicely & I am happy he is doing well. The rats are from my neighbors wood pile. My dogs have killed them before & now I have my war paint on! I am going by PetCo tomorrow & asking for their ferret litter to put around the wood pile. I haave some traps too. Darn pests! The coons got my garbage last night. I thought I woke to chicken noises. For them I will use my gun! My neighbor too. We will be vigilant & prevail!

I'm glad your dog is recovering from his adventures.

Happy hunting!

That's why Yorkies don't make good guard dogs.
smile.png

I can't speak for all yorkies, my little man has an attitude! Normally when he kills a rat it is fast & neck snapping, but since his eyes are not as good as they used to be, he got ithe rat by the toes. He might only be 4 pounds, but he is the brains & my 110 pound mastiff is the braun.

As long as he keeps killing rats, I am happy. One of the best things about my yorkie? His unwavering loyalty to me. That & the fact a bog of dog food can last half a year! LOL! The mastiff? She is anotherr story!

Here's my mighty rat hunter!! 4.5 pounds. He wants a bigger bed though
smile.png

090607Pepe002.jpg

Wow! That picture was from a long time ago,
Haha
smile.png

ETA: This one is much more recent..... He likes his beds, lol!
photo-27.jpg

Last edited:
He is absolutely the cutest! The bigger the bed the better! The King wouldn't have it any other way, right? I am not at the top of Duncan's favorite people list right now, since I am the only one on wound duty. It is healing very well, but all he knows is that I put him high on the counter & make his face hurt. It will be over soon & I am really happy I avoided a vet bill!

Thank you for sharing your precious pictures!

Silly question as I"m sure of the answer but is he current on his rabies?

Adorable picture !! I love small dogs but love my Great Pyrenees too !!
love.gif

Quote:
Rats don't usually carry rabies. It is possible, but unlikely.

Anyway, if your dog's face abscessed and he isn't on antibiotics, I'd be concerned about there still being an infection. You said you "popped" it, meaning you drained the abscess? A very painful process, should have been done by a veterinarian. I'd suggest taking him to get seen, since infection on the head or face can become serious quickly.

Both my maastiff & yorkie have had rabies shots within the last 8 years. Thank you for asking. While I love & care for my animals, I am under no fairy tale illusions when it comes to life & death. It is the natural order of things. I am just thankful the rat didn't get his eye. The bite is less 1/2 away. My little 4 pound man is the boss here. He has no problem taking on the mastiff & gladiator dobie frrrom the picture. They both outweigh him by more than 100 pounds. I am writing this to avoid wound care for a minute. (Sigh) here I go! He is going to hate me again...

Back
Top Bottom