My 6 week old ducklings...imprinting issues..?

Rachaels Zoo

Chirping
Jun 29, 2020
Hello!

I have two 6 week old ducklings (Pekin) whome I have had since day 3 after hatching. They 100% imprinted on me and followed me everywhere, would get upset when I would leave the room, would cuddle with me, sleep on me etc...

They have now transitioned to living in the backyard in their house with their two older pekin duck sisters (12 weeks). Since they have been outside they don’t follow me around anymore, don’t want me to pick them up and in fact scurry away if I get too close(not scared just not wanting to be touched). They have attached to their two older sisters.

My question is, is this normal?
Have they just gotten to “teenage” years and want nothing to do with their mom?
Has the imprintation changed onto their older sisters?
Is it a faze?
Just looking for opinions or others experiences.

The two older ducks did not imprint on me as I got them at about 5 weeks. So I have not seen a change in their behavior with me.

Thank you!!

Hello!

I have two 6 week old ducklings (Pekin) whome I have had since day 3 after hatching. They 100% imprinted on me and followed me everywhere, would get upset when I would leave the room, would cuddle with me, sleep on me etc...

They have now transitioned to living in the backyard in their house with their two older pekin duck sisters (12 weeks). Since they have been outside they don’t follow me around anymore, don’t want me to pick them up and in fact scurry away if I get too close(not scared just not wanting to be touched). They have attached to their two older sisters.

My question is, is this normal?
Have they just gotten to “teenage” years and want nothing to do with their mom?
Has the imprintation changed onto their older sisters?
Is it a faze?
Just looking for opinions or others experiences.

The two older ducks did not imprint on me as I got them at about 5 weeks. So I have not seen a change in their behavior with me.

Thank you!!

Yep, you're spot on!

Once they get around their teenage age, they become a lot shyer, don't really like to be handled, and act as if you're a serial killer on the loose. Give it a few more weeks, and they'll become a lot friendlier with you as they mature.

Walk Slowly, make slow gestures, speak with a calm/soft voice, and feed them treats on occasions are all great ways to get them accustomed to you.

Yep, you're spot on!

Once they get around their teenage age, they become a lot shyer, don't really like to be handled, and act as if you're a serial killer on the loose. Give it a few more weeks, and they'll become a lot friendlier with you as they mature.

Walk Slowly, make slow gestures, speak with a calm/soft voice, and feed them treats on occasions are all great ways to get them accustomed to you.
Thank you!!
That’s what I figured but I wanted to make sure!
It breaks my heart cause I just want to cuddle them!
I make sure to give them their space but hangout with them and talk and sing to them all the time as well as treats and a salad all the time! (As in very healthy way once a day)
I’m hoping they grow out of it! They are for sure not mean or scared in the slightest...best way I can describe it is like a teenager not wanting anything to do with their mom haha
Glad I’m not going crazy and this is normal!!

Thank you so much!!

Back
Top Bottom