my aggressive rabbit doe.

Wow, noted. But I was talking about does that don't want to get humped they went to do the humping. My rabbit didn't mate with buck until DAY 7. She would never get pregnant spending just a day, what should one do in such a case?

First of all, I would check to make sure the doe is at the point in her cycle when she is most fertile. If her vulva is any other color than red, her hormone levels are not at their peak, and she might not settle even if she did breed.

I have left hard-to-settle does with bucks, but I prefer to do it in a colony-type setting with 3 or more does. That way, the buck's attention will most likely get spread around enough to avoid one doe getting too fed up. Whenever I have rabbits together like this, I keep an eye out for signs that one rabbit is getting too rough with the others, so I can remove the offender before too much damage gets done. Usually it's a doe that is dominant, but there have been occasions when the does get along fine, and the buck became such a bully that I had to remove him after only a few days.

In any breeding program, "the more you tolerate, the more you will have to tolerate." Traits are inherited - both good and bad. This is simple, basic animal husbandry.
This is exactly why I'm not sure that my aggressive doe is going to make it to strike three. She may be the biggest and fastest growing rabbit I own, but she's still just a meat mutt and I don't want that temperament passed down.

@Bunnylady and @cassie have already made excellent comments. All I can do is chime in: I raised rabbits for about 12 years, for both show and to have meat for my family. I was constantly astonished at the ill-mannered rabbits other people would keep. I always told them, that kind tastes the best... There are LOTS of rabbits out there. LOTS. There is no need to tolerate being bitten and kicked for doing your best to take good care of your rabbit.

In my own rabbitry it was, 3 strikes and you are out. I always gave them a very good chance to learn and be better, but if that did not happen, well, let's just say I did not keep them. I used to tell people I would send them to bunny heaven. As a result, all my does were pleasant to handle and good mothers who did their level best to raise their litters.

The one thing I learned with rabbits: there is no way on Earth that you can keep all of them. NO way. There are just too many and they breed so successfully. It will cost you just as much time, energy and money, to keep a good, well-behaved, beautiful rabbit, as it will to keep a monster rabbit. So you may as well keep good ones. And whatever you do, DON'T give away or sell the monster to some unsuspecting innocent person.
In any breeding program, "the more you tolerate, the more you will have to tolerate." Traits are inherited - both good and bad. This is simple, basic animal husbandry.
First of all, I would check to make sure the doe is at the point in her cycle when she is most fertile. If her vulva is any other color than red, her hormone levels are not at their peak, and she might not settle even if she did breed.

I have left hard-to-settle does with bucks, but I prefer to do it in a colony-type setting with 3 or more does. That way, the buck's attention will most likely get spread around enough to avoid one doe getting too fed up. Whenever I have rabbits together like this, I keep an eye out for signs that one rabbit is getting too rough with the others, so I can remove the offender before too much damage gets done. Usually it's a doe that is dominant, but there have been occasions when the does get along fine, and the buck became such a bully that I had to remove him after only a few days.
I always put her out when vulva is red not pink, it was a colony but a bucks pen with 3 bucks the only one big enough was her son not sure of the others could mate with her but thankfully nothing bad happened, best pregnancy so far, her instinct's kicked in so much that she stripped herself naked and stuffed the box with hay(it was rainy season still is). 2 out of seven is dead because of that, she had a bad breast I had to squeeze the bad milk out it was swollen and the milk was very thick like puss the area was red. The remnants that was left had blood in it? She is fine though

My doe is super Alfa she has her ways with the bucks first thats why I had to leave her in there I didn't even see when the buck mated her but I knew it was day seven, I have it marked on the calender she was seven days Late

Back
Top Bottom