My aunt's rooster didn't fair well during the ice storm...

wkshaddon

Songster
Aug 15, 2019
Lane County Oregon
So my aunt has multiple roosters one with the majority of the hens that has a fully enclosed chicken house to go into, one in a run with a coop above it, one rooster in a pen with our ducks, and one in an enclosure with a covered top with two walls and two sides fencing. There's a roost on the outside and inside of the coop. But he prefers to roost on the outside one. Well during the ice storm that we had here in Eugene, Oregon. I was stuck in town at my place of work (which happens to be a hotel) for 4 days. So they went mostly unattended during that time. It wasn't until a few days later that she noticed her older rooster has severe frostbite on his comb. To where the skin is turned black about the top third of it. She also didn't find that he had somehow ripped his bird completely out of his leg including the quick and had a hole in his leg. So neither of these things were treated or cleaned. Now that I'm back out here is it too late to clean and dress the wounds
or should I just leave it alone?

So my aunt has multiple roosters one with the majority of the hens that has a fully enclosed chicken house to go into, one in a run with a coop above it, one rooster in a pen with our ducks, and one in an enclosure with a covered top with two walls and two sides fencing. There's a roost on the outside and inside of the coop. But he prefers to roost on the outside one. Well during the ice storm that we had here in Eugene, Oregon. I was stuck in town at my place of work (which happens to be a hotel) for 4 days. So they went mostly unattended during that time. It wasn't until a few days later that she noticed her older rooster has severe frostbite on his comb. To where the skin is turned black about the top third of it. She also didn't find that he had somehow ripped his bird completely out of his leg including the quick and had a hole in his leg. So neither of these things were treated or cleaned. Now that I'm back out here is it too late to clean and dress the wounds
The other roosters have a mild touch of frostbite on the very edge of the top of the cone but other than that they're fine.

Could you post any pictures of the roosters’ combs and the missing spur and hole on the leg? Usually there should be no massage or rubbing a frostbitten comb, and any creams or sprays also have a tendency to freeze, so I don’t not put anything on it. Frostbitten tissue will eventually shrink resulting in a smaller comb and wattles. For spur injury, they will usually heal after the bleeding stops. Did the chickens have thawed water in the run during the cold snap?

Back
Top Bottom