My baby ducklings

remco93

In the Brooder
May 25, 2016
Hi y'all,

I have been reading quite a lot on this website already. 2 months ago I started hatching runner duck eggs in my self made incubator. The first time unfortunately zero of my 3 eggs hatched. (1 infertile, 1 early death and 1 death after internal pip)

The second time went better. I got 7 out of 8 fertile eggs and they all developed well. In the end only 3 of them pipped and hatched so I think something still went wrong somewhere, I guess the humidity.
1 was so weak and had a lot of problems, she died after 2 days.

1 went to my aunt who has 2 more ducklings and 1 stayed with us. 4 weeks earlier we bought a runner duckling that someone else hatched and named her (probably her) Pip and the little one we named Lilly.

Pip is now 6 weeks old. I am wondering is he ready to go outside yet? The lowest it gets here in the night is now between 50-55. (Holland) He has a rabbit cage with lots of straw and a stuffed duck toy. He is not peeping when he is outside, only a little bit when he sees me but after that he is quiet again. Do you guys think it is alright? I see more and more white coming through on his belly.

My other question is about Lilly. When she hatched, 1 eye was closed. Everyday we cleaned it with cooked (and of course let it cool off first) water. After a few days a small yellow thingy came out but the eye was visible now. As you can see on the picture it has a white spot and it is not very clear. She also cannot (fully) see through that eye. Looking at her reflects I think she does see a little bit tho.. Has someone see this before and do you think this will maybe heal? If not I guess he will be able to live with 1 eye but of course 2 would always be easier ;-)

Here are some pics:

Lilly 1 week

Lilly and Pip

Lilly when the yellow thing was just removed

Thanks in advance for the advice!!
Regards,
Remco

Lilly waving y'all a goodnight! :)

Welcome to BYC! Yes, Pip can go outside now, but are there any other ducks outside to keep him company? I'm not sure about Lilly's eye, but I hope it gets better! They are so cute!

Hey Duckgirl, thanks for the welcome and your reply!
Pip has no other friends outside yet so I try to keep him a lot of company until Lilly will be able to go outside too.
And sometimes I put a bottle with warm water with him so it will be a little bit warmer for a while.

By the way I totally agree with your subscript!:) God bless!

Thank you
smile.png

If you're there to spend time with him that's fine for him to be out. Good thinking with the water bottle, too.
thumbsup.gif

Thanks, hope so as well! Fortunately it seems she is able to see at least a little bit through that eye but it cant be a lot

Pip just died today....
hit.gif

I had a small tub for him to swim. He never had problems getting out of it, but I think today he was too tired or something.. and I was too late.. I am soo sad and feel so incredible stupid
he.gif

hit.gif
Oh, no!!! I am so, so sorry! You're not stupid; we all make mistakes. I lost a duckling a couple months ago and I feel as though I could have prevented it.
hugs.gif

Thanks! :hugs
Aw sorry to hear that! How did you lose the duckling?
Hopefully today we will get a new duckling of about 5 days old so Lilly won't be alone!

Back
Top Bottom