My baby finch adventure

The parents were young birds we pulled out of the finch aviary and put into the budgie aviary so we could sell them. They started breeding and laying right away. We ended up with 5 nests of eggs and chicks! We pulled all the chicks, left one bird on her nest since we could not find her partner and had to toss the other eggs since the parent birds flew out of the nests. We gather the birds at night, its easier on us and them.

So at the end of it, we caught 24 finches which were all 4 months or younger and pulled 12 chicks from 3 nests. 2 are nearly fledged and we struggle to get them to eat, but I'm not giving up since it was our screw up by not realizing their parents would breed so quickly.

Egg 3 in the nest today =D
At least some where being good parents to get them to almost fledging !

I dont have any nests or nesting material in with the fledgling babies from the last clutch .. they are about 3 months old now =) i think i managed 3 girls!!! Going tuesday to pick up 8 more =D. 2 pairs and 4 babies the babies are 4 months old . And should be adding some black cheeked in the near future !! =D

Our babies found nesting materials in the aviary. They stole hay from the quail and budgie fluff from the hardware cloth lol.

The black cheeks are gorgeous. I've had some pop out of my breeding pairs. I've set them aside as future stock to breed :)
I've had several other of the dark mutations come out. Not overly familiar yet with the names of them all. Humogo? something like that. Black cheeks, black face.

Up to 5 eggs in the pairs nest =D

Im not sure i want to part with the 3 babies . Theyre all neat colored .
Momma is a florida fancy so has a creamy orange belly and light cream body.
Ive been told daddy is a fawn...
The 8 are supposed to be just regular greys . All 4 babys are males..
So i will for sure rehome them. They said only one of the pairs have produced babies... so i might try and split them up and see which are the good parents ... and maybe both will be . =D

=) ok so i sold the 3 babies..
And currently have 3 babies in the nest . (3/5 ) 2 eggs didnt hatch..
I also have 3 newish adult finches . For a total of 5 one normal grey male. A florida fancy male. And a pied female. She looks normal grey.. except she has a orange belly like the florida fancys..

The pied is on a clutch that should start hatching in a couple days... shes with the ff cock... once her babies fledge in going to switch the males. And probably cross the regular male with one of the fawn/ff babies

These guys are addicting...

=) ok so i sold the 3 babies..
And currently have 3 babies in the nest . (3/5 ) 2 eggs didnt hatch..
I also have 3 newish adult finches . For a total of 5 one normal grey male. A florida fancy male. And a pied female. She looks normal grey.. except she has a orange belly like the florida fancys..

The pied is on a clutch that should start hatching in a couple days... shes with the ff cock... once her babies fledge in going to switch the males. And probably cross the regular male with one of the fawn/ff babies

These guys are addicting...

congrats just watch the numbers as it soon gets out of hand...lol

Back
Top Bottom