My baby has sore on swollen anklešŸ˜¢

Jul 5, 2022
Lexington nc
Hey yall! Hope everyone is good! My pekin has arthritis in her ankle, I think that's what it is anyway. She was limping and her ankle was swollen to atleast twice the size it should be. Needless to say, I freaked out, brought her in the house (to the hubby's dismay), cried and panicked. Now, she has a sore place on the back of her swollen ankle. I soaked her in the tub, prepared to at least remove the scab. When I got her out of the tub, and looked at It, I didn't mess with it at all. It doesn't really look like a bumble....so now I'm confused about treatment. I'm going to try and post a pic or 2, but me an technology don't get along very well. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Attachments

• 20240124_064851.jpg
    20240124_064851.jpg
    328.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 20240124_064902.jpg
    20240124_064902.jpg
    410.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 20240124_065056.jpg
    20240124_065056.jpg
    647.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240124_065040.jpg
    20240124_065040.jpg
    852.7 KB · Views: 10
I'm far from any sort of expert, but it DOES look like bumblefoot to me. See that darkish scab, surrounded by purplish tissue? If it were my duck, I'd try to at least remove the scab and see if you can express any pus from it.

She may need an antibiotic is a vet an option? looks like some infection is in there. Bumble can appear in different ways some have scabs some don't when my duck had bumble she did not have a scab. I'd at least start soaking her in Warm Epsom salt water it can help with inflammation. Don't let her drink the ES water it is also a laxative. You definitely don't want to let this continue without seeing a vet if at all possible.
@Psychofeatherlover soak in Epsom salt water and try a drawing salve and see if that helps.. does this area feel hard or squishy?

Last edited:
She may need an antibiotic is a vet an option? looks like some infection is in there. Bumble can appear in different ways some have scabs some don't when my duck had bumble she did not have a scab. I'd at least start soaking her in Warm Epsom salt water it can help with inflammation. Don't let her drink the ES water it is also a laxative. You definitely don't want to let this continue without seeing a vet if at all possible.
@Psychofeatherlover soak in Epsom salt water and try a drawing salve and see if that helps.. does this area feel hard or squishy?
It's really hard. We messed with it some last night. I soaked her in warm water, we are out of Epsom salt at the moment, and even after soaking it was still really hard. I got some of the scabs off, and there was some really dry yellow pus looking stuff. I got all that out, and she was getting very agitated and stressed out, so we put neosporin without pain relief on it and wrapped it up with some gauze. I have her soaking in the tub right now, with hopes of getting the rest of the scab off. Vet is not an option. This little pekin is my baby. My saving grace. She turned my mental state around when my precious roscoe, a Redbone coonhound, passed away from kidney failure. This little tiny duck, single handedly, I meana single wingedly, saved me from the dark hole I fell in after roscoe passed. Nothing else could help me. She saved me. I love her like my child. Please tell me anything I can do to help her. I'll do everything I can to help her. I honestly didn't even notice it because it's up above her foot, in her leg. I thought bumble foot was always on the foot. I know, it's stupid, I should've researched it the day I saw it. Thank you for replying. I'll keep you posted Ms Lydia. Thanks for all you do.

I'm far from any sort of expert, but it DOES look like bumblefoot to me. See that darkish scab, surrounded by purplish tissue? If it were my duck, I'd try to at least remove the scab and see if you can express any pus from it.
Thank you. I got some really dry pus out of it, if that makes sense. We are gonna try again shortly and see what we can get this time. She was not happy last night when we were messing with it, so we worked for a little while, wrapped it up and will continue today. Please wish us luck, this little beautiful fluffy girl is everything to me. Thank you for your expertise, seems you might be a expert after all.ā˜ŗļø

@Psychofeatherlover why is a vet not an option?
Financial situation is really bad. My husband has been out of work on medical leave for over 2 years. And my therapist took me out of work almost 2 years ago for medical leave. We were both working when we started getting ducks and chickens, but things have went downhill since. If it wasn't for family helping us out with light bill and phone bill (only so they can keep in touch with us) I don't know iw what we would do. We have both applied for ssi, but that takes about 2 years here to get approved.

UPDATE: We managed to get the kernel out last night, I filled the hole with neosporin, and bandaged it up. She was not a happy camper, but we got it done. There is a layer of white skin looking stuff at the bottom of the hole. Is that skin/meat, or infection? Do I need to get it out? I tried last night, but it is stuck on there pretty good. I was crying, at first I didn't know if it was the bumble or her meat I was trying to get out, but I kept working it and i finally realized it was definitely the bumble. When we were finished for the night, I was holding her to try and calm her down some, and I noticed she was really antsy and a little more agitated than normal. I assumed it was because we just removed that huge thing from her ankle. I was wrong. I was standing there, holding her, and an egg dropped to the floor. šŸ˜³šŸ„ŗšŸ˜± I feel so bad. Especially for her. No wonder she was so antsy. As soon as the egg came out. She was calm and acted like nothing happened.

Back
Top Bottom