My banty's toes are crusted, stinky, and she's barely walking...help

rockportdawn

Chirping
7 Years
Nov 16, 2014
Rockport, TX
My white Silkie Bantam, 7mos. old, has been walking poorly for about 1 month. She chose to stay by herself, laying around and not roosting, which was unusual behavior. I picked her up to check her over about 10 days ago and she was really warm to the touch and had crust on her beak and around her ears. None of her 5 coop mates are sick. Her poop looks normal. I took her to the vet on 11/15, who said both ears were absessed and she had a respiratory infection, so not walking well I thought made sense. He gave her Amikacin inj. and prescribed Baytril 2 times per day. She is improving slightly. Many of her gorgeous feathers on her face and head have fallen off. She is eating and drinking but still isn't walking well. I closely looked over her feet a couple of days ago and realized her feet seemed crusty too. Today I washed her feet and the crust just started falling off like skin sloughing off. I thought great, she'll start healing up. But when I put her outside in the grass I saw her toes were now bleeding...OH MY GOSH! Poor thing. What the heck is happening? I'll be calling the vet tomorrow but what could this be?

My white Silkie Bantam, 7mos. old, has been walking poorly for about 1 month. She chose to stay by herself, laying around and not roosting, which was unusual behavior. I picked her up to check her over about 10 days ago and she was really warm to the touch and had crust on her beak and around her ears. None of her 5 coop mates are sick. Her poop looks normal. I took her to the vet on 11/15, who said both ears were absessed and she had a respiratory infection, so not walking well I thought made sense. He gave her Amikacin inj. and prescribed Baytril 2 times per day. She is improving slightly. Many of her gorgeous feathers on her face and head have fallen off. She is eating and drinking but still isn't walking well. I closely looked over her feet a couple of days ago and realized her feet seemed crusty too. Today I washed her feet and the crust just started falling off like skin sloughing off. I thought great, she'll start healing up. But when I put her outside in the grass I saw her toes were now bleeding...OH MY GOSH! Poor thing. What the heck is happening? I'll be calling the vet tomorrow but what could this be?
Can you post pictures of her feet? Any chance she is concurrently suffering from a bad case of scaly leg mites?

Can you post pictures of her feet? Any chance she is concurrently suffering from a bad case of scaly leg mites?
Here are some pics just now. When I had her flipped on her back it looked like she has some of these scabby places on her wings as well.
A8FD162E-2377-419F-9416-A1EA057E50DE.jpeg

Attachments

• 5E7E4A8E-7BA4-4DEE-83AC-8F55E5479C41.png
    5E7E4A8E-7BA4-4DEE-83AC-8F55E5479C41.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 4
  • C5A44DA4-F6FB-4E01-A2D3-B1C144AD0092.jpeg
    C5A44DA4-F6FB-4E01-A2D3-B1C144AD0092.jpeg
    489.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 16D6BE71-AE4A-4760-8FF5-A4C9B7CE92D6.jpeg
    16D6BE71-AE4A-4760-8FF5-A4C9B7CE92D6.jpeg
    506.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 136EFD36-0A6C-4463-9DCC-5D57F17E61A0.jpeg
    136EFD36-0A6C-4463-9DCC-5D57F17E61A0.jpeg
    523.9 KB · Views: 6
Just a thought and I could be completely wrong, but could her original symptoms have been from a strep infection? Chickens can get strep and Baytril will actually cause an interaction similar to a drug interaction with the strep bacteria which creates a flesh eating bacteria.

Last edited:
Just a thought and I could be completely wrong, but could her original symptoms have been strep? Chickens can get strep and Baytril will actually cause an interaction similar to a drug interaction with the strep bacteria which creates a flesh eating bacteria.
The vet treated for bacterial for her ears with the Amikacin followed by oral Baytril. I hope this is not the case with the flesh eating bacteria. Her skin symptoms are certainly not improving since the office visit.

The vet treated for bacterial for her ears with the Amikacin followed by oral Baytril. I hope this is not the case with the flesh eating bacteria. Her skin symptoms are certainly not improving since the office visit.
Hi. Any update on this? Did you find out what was going on with her? I'm so sorry. I know it's been about 2 months since this post but I was curious.

Back
Top Bottom