My Barred rock chicken lost so many feathers

Messipaw

Songster
6 Years
Apr 3, 2013
My Barred Rock chicken is about two years old. This morning I went to the coop and it looked like she exploded. There were feathers everywhere. Most of them were missing from her butt and vent area. What would cause all the feathers to come out at once. I'm hoping a molt. No other of my hens seem to be having such extreme feather loss.

Some hens 'blow' all their feathers at once when molting. Generally they regrow quite rapidly. Keep an eye on her to assure that she does not become hypothermic..

Last edited:
I realized I have a similar situation this morning. I can't believe it's nov here in the Catskills and one of my girls appears to be molting! Is this normal for some birds this late in the season. Fri night lows are supposed to be below freezing. I do have a heat lamp working but I've never seen her near it. She certainly has me worried.

I realized I have a similar situation this morning. I can't believe it's nov here in the Catskills and one of my girls appears to be molting! Is this normal for some birds this late in the season. Fri night lows are supposed to be below freezing. I do have a heat lamp working but I've never seen her near it. She certainly has me worried.
I agree. It's weird that it's so late in the season. I don't heat my coop. I'm worried too.

I decided to just crate her in the cozy warm laundry room downstairs. She was not happy about being caged but seems to be thankful to be warm and to have some unmolested sleep.

I decided to just crate her in the cozy warm laundry room downstairs. She was not happy about being caged but seems to be thankful to be warm and to have some unmolested sleep.

You don't have to do that, she'll be fine. I have a BR, right now going through a molt. She looks like the feathers just, like the other poster said, exploded off of her. I had one of my BOs, last winter, in mid Dec, go through a serious molt. She made it through, with no problems. By separated your hen, you are potentially causing unnecessary problems. One, being separated from her flock, causing stress for her. And two, more importantly, causing her to have to go all through the pecking order nonsense with her buddies, once she is reintroduced to the coop. Put her back, she'll be OK. And get rid of that heatlamp.

Last edited:
It's really not late in the year from the bird's perspective. This is the normal time of year for them to molt. They're fine outside in an unheated coop unless there is some abnormal cold snap.

I can't remember when this pic was taken, but there's ice on the water...

She looked pretty horrible, but soon she was back to her sleek, healthy self

I feel at ease now thanks. I do have some 6wk GLWs and S Sussex running around. The lamp is mostly for them since they still puppy pile. Maybe they don't need it?

Back
Top Bottom