My Breeding Project and Help with the Genetics

How many generations until they breed true?
After you quit crossing in other things, and just breed them to each other, it will still take at least a few generations to get them breeding true. The more chicks you hatch, and the more selectively you cull, the fewer generations it will take. I would expect at least 3 to 5 generations in the best case. But with a reasonable number of chicks each year, you could easily be at this for a decade or more.

Another thing I really like about them is that they are plump little things. Still a bantam, but they feel like they have quite a bit of meat.

I do think they would be best crossed with a Pyncheon, but I think that will decrease size which I don't really like.

I would very much like to add in Spitzhauben. Spitz are almost perfectly suited for my climate, and I think they would increase size and foraging abilities.

The Spitz and Pynch crosses would also be able to fly better, which I would love.

So, I think cross my hens with a Spitz (silver spangled or gold spangled?) then cross hens from that mix to a Pynch roo and roos from that mix to; a Spitz? A Pynch? Back to the parents?
Why so many extra roosters? Maybe cross one rooster to your best hen, her son to the next best hen, her son to the next best hen, her son back to the first best hen... Some such pattern would focus on the genes you already have, know, and like.

If you cross to a new rooster, the chicks get half their genes from him, and half from their mother. Crossing those chicks to another new rooster leaves you with only 1/4 of genes from your original stock. And the more generations you breed from new roosters, the less genes you have from your original birds.

If you are crossing in a Spitzhauben, think about whether you want gold-based chickens or silver-based chickens, and choose the rooster accordingly.

I let her have one egg
20220715_114936.jpg

I have several second and third generation mutt hens that I would like to start a breed with. Sadly though, I can't understand genetics to save my life.
Parents and grandparents include; d'Anvers, Bantam Cochins, Bantam EEs, maybe a LF Leghorn, and possibly a Silkie. They are a larger bantam size with beautiful feathers, and some lay blue/green eggs. Most of them have lightly feathered shanks, what I think is a Pea Comb, and muffs.

Things I want to keep:
The colored eggs
The Pea Comb
The gorgeous feathers
The size
Their broodiness
And their cold hardiness

Things I don't want:
The muffs
And their feathered feet

Things I'd like to add (Suggestions welcome):
Maybe a tassel/very small crest, but that's in no way a priority

Roosters that could be used: Pyncheon, Spitzhauben, OEGB, and a Bantam Wyandotte.

How do we get rid of the muffs and feathered feet? Those are dominate, correct? Which roo is best to use?
Honestly, I would use all the roosters available just to see what I’d get, but that’s your choice.

Which do you like best, the solid colored hens or the ones with more patterning? What color are your OEG and wyandotte bantams?

Back
Top Bottom