My broody didn't accept the move..but still broody!?

CA Bean

Songster
11 Years
Aug 12, 2008
Central Coast -California
So irritated..I have enough chicks already. I got some shipped eggs for my broody (GLW) to be nice and then she won't take them! I moved her to another brooding house last night and this morning the eggs were cold and she was having nothing to do with them. Seems to that putting her in there broke her broodiness???..when I let her out this morning she was dust bathing.. now I have to incubate eggs..i just hatched out 21 -2 weeks ago and up to my nose in chicks!....just venting.. I don't want to waste BLRW eggs! ( but I really don't need any more darn chicks!)
roll.png

Last edited:
She really wasn't all that broody then...

If you do that again, move her and put her on either golf balls or dummy eggs and make sure she is going to set before you give her eggs. If they are broody, they'll set.

In a way she probably did you a favor. If she had sat for a week and then decided to break you would be a lot worse off....

Yessss... you are probably right..but she had been laying on golf balls for over a week an half..then i would take her off the nest so she wouldn't starve too much yet and she would be back on the nest again and again. Anyway darn it!

Wait she is still broody though in her nest box! Maybe I should try the move again but in a small dog kennel..maybe the small coop I put her in was too big.(4x3ish?)
SHould I put her in the dog crate inside the small coop away from the rest of the flock or try try try to find space in the coop..if I put it in there the others will poop on it since the roosts will be over it.

Back
Top Bottom