my broody hen killed the chicks

Noora

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 24, 2014
Hello every body,

I'm new in this subject and started raising chickens last year. Few weeks back I placed 4 chicken eggs and 12 chukar partridge eggs under my broody hen. at day 21, the 4 chicken chicks hatched. after 2-3 days the other eggs started hatching, but the hen killed every partridge chick comes out! is that because the differences between the chicks in appearance? or what? any thoughts please.

I am new to this also but my broody hen hatched 4 chicks and each one is very very different and she loves them all the same. :) This is not an expert opinion but maybe the eggs hatched to far apart. Just a guess as my hen is my only experience with a broody. Sorry for your losses :hugs

Last edited:
Same thing happen to me I had a broody hen laying on some buff Orpington eggs for 21 days. After they hatched she killed all of them.i was so upset she will be culled this winter.

I had a broody do the same with fertile eggs from a friend last year, she killed and partially ate the first two to hatch, I managed to save the third one and he is a gorgeous Spangled Hamburg/RIR rooster now. I bought two day olds from a local hatchery to keep him company so he wouldn't be an only baby. The broody never went broody again and I sold her as a still productive two year old.

Thank you all for your reply. next time I will try to keep only one type of eggs (not chicken - but either partridge or quail) and will see the results. The hen is happy now with the 4 chicks.

Back
Top Bottom