My Buff Orpington Bantam not laying

FeatherFrenze

In the Brooder
Jun 29, 2015
My baby was born first week in June. I have 6 that I got all different breeds. My buff orpington bantam is the only one not laying. Is this common? Should I be worried? Is it possible she may never lay? It's kind of funny as I named her Mama and she is the only one not laying lol.

Agree she's a cute little buff Brahma. She looks to be at point of lay, so I'd say within the next couple of weeks. Brahmas are slower to mature even than Orpingtons, so it's not out of line for her to take this long, especially with the short days of winter.

It is very unusual for a hen her age not to have started laying yet and at this stage I'm afraid it possible that she may have some issue and never will. But then, I have had one hen that laid her first egg aged 8 months, so fingers crossed yours is just a very late bloomer!

There are some breeds that don't start laying until they are older, your hen is around 8 months, my bantam from last year June have just finally started laying in the last week. I think within the next month she will start. Many bantam are slower to begin laying and often wait until the approach of Spring. They follow a more natural way, as they haven't been bred for just egg production, they are mostly bred for their looks and personality.

welcome-byc.gif

My June and July pullets have just started laying the last 2-3 weeks. Is she showing any signs of maturity, such as a redder, larger comb or squatting? If so, my thought is she's just not production bred and is waiting for the days to get a little longer. I'll bet you have eggs from her by Easter.

:welcome

My June and July pullets have just started laying the last 2-3 weeks. Is she showing any signs of maturity, such as a redder, larger comb or squatting? If so, my thought is she's just not production bred and is waiting for the days to get a little longer. I'll bet you have eggs from her by Easter. 

She is squatting her comb is small not sure if it's redder. I am trying to add a picture of her but not sure how to do that.

That is a bantam buff Columbian Brahma, I have one just like her, mine just started laying, yours looks ready too.

Back
Top Bottom