My Buff Orpington can't walk

Wheatridgepeeps

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 28, 2011
WHEAT RIDGE COLORADO
Hello,

I am looking for some advice. I have an eight month old buff Orpington, named Honey. She is a healthy chicken, until the other day. I noticed she was having trouble walking a few days ago. I decided to keep an eye on her and leave her with my other six chickens. Her condition got a little worse, so I decided to separate Honey from the rest for the flock, and keep her in the garage (a little warmer, and quieter).

I check her legs by feeling each joint, and watching Honey's reaction- nothing abnormal. toes/leg is not broken. It appears to me that the tendons are intact and working. However, she seemed to be favoring the leg. She does not appear to be in pain, but I am not sure. She is using her wings to try and stay balanced.

Honey has been in the garage for three days. I pulled her out to see if her condition has changed, and now she can barely stand. Honey falls over almost immediately. I was very surprised at her condition because she has been very alert and talkative, and she has been eating and drinking. I immediately took her to our local feed store (where i bought her 8 months ago) and asked questions. Unfortunately, they were not sure. I bought some vitamins to put in her water, and now I don't know what to do.

Has anyone seen this condition before?

Is there anything more I can do?

If Honey's leg is broken, will the leg heal properly? Or will she be lame for the rest of her life?

I would greatly appreciate any input.

Thanks,

Jevon

check out symptoms for Maraks, have your birds been vaccinated? it is really hard to tell but if she continues to get worse, you may need to cull her
sorry I can't be of more help, don't give up searching

I'm afraid I've no experience of this myself, so can't be much help. As snowflake says, search these forums for 'mareks' and see if she is showing any of the symptoms for that. Also have a good look at the bottom of her foot, and check for any injuries or dark discoloured patches. Search the forums for 'bumblefoot' for more info if you find anything like that.

Good luck! x

Back
Top Bottom