My Buff Orpington with oviduct prolapse / prolapsed vent. Warning, pictures are graphic!

This is day 3. On day 2 we washed in water with Peroxide added, along with epsom salts.
On this 3rd day, parts of this was hardened. We added honey to the regimine, then covered with Prep H, and held it inside for a while to get it to stay. There seemed to be heat in the tissue.

This is the 4th day. All the white made me nervous. When we bathed her, using water, epsom salts, and metholate instead of peroxide (or mecuochrome, the one without alcohol, as suggested by scratch n' peck), we removed all the white stuff. I read in another post where someone's dad told her she was being too gentle. I think the honey helped to make it easier to debride.

We applied honey and used Prep H to tuck everything in. It stayed in much easier tonight.
We are still giving vitamins and antibiotics in the water. She does not seem to be eating or drinking much. I did offer watermelon and kale this afternoon. She still did not seem to interested. She is only getting about 4 hours of light a day.
Tomorrow I would love to get her outside. Any suggestons about anything from anyone would greatly be appreciated!

That is helpful documentation that you posted. It looks like some improvement, but it is concerning that she continues to prolapse again eventually. You probably already searched on this site with a term like "repeated prolapse" or something like that. I think I have read about a vet giving a couple of stitches to keep the membrane in while it heals. I'm not sure when one would consider taking that step.

Poor girl... A Buff Orpington who is not interested in watermelon is also concerning. I don't know that she is ready to rejoin the flock completely, especially if she were to reprolapse and the other chickens were tempted to peck at it. But maybe putting her little enclosure in the coop with food and water would give her company. Of course that idea would depend on how hot it is in your area.

Day 4 and she is eating!! That is watermelon! She pecked around, ate grass, ate bugs, and drank lots of water. I just gave plan water today. No antibiotic, no vitamins. It made the water smell bad, I would not have drank it either!

The vent still looked yucky! Getting ready for the bath. Used epsom salts, mecurachrome, a few drops of tea tree oil. We debreided all the yuk off. Applied honey, especially to the inside, and then Prep H. a little inside and a lot outside. Then back to the cage. She is getting about 5 hours of light a day.

After the bath and the honey and prep H treatment.

Day 5. A little rangeier today! Venturing out inot my raised bed garden.

Olive is in my lavender! She love to stand in it and eats it!

Finishing off the water melon.

My husband, who I could not have done this without! Taking her in for her nightly bath!

Not nearly as much gunk tonight. My husband says it is firmer every night. Still using epsom salts, mecurachrome, and tea tree oil in the water. Then apply honey inside, and a little out. Followed by Prep H a little inside and some outside.

Post bath.

Day 6. Getting a little braver!

Still after the lavender plants!

This is th vent, no bath! Hopefully time with coop mates tomorrow. Olive has been a real trooper through the whole ordeal! Now if we can lay an egg??? Does anyone have ideas or knowledge about what comes next?

The steady improvement is good, and I am glad she is interested in eating, drinking and ranging around. You and your husband make a great chicken nursing team for Olive.

I just don't have the experience to say what to expect next, but giving her some time with her flock mates now that she isn't reprolapsing as much makes sense.

my prayer's are with you,i'm hoping she make's a full recovery!
hugs.gif

Olive is now back with her coop mates. She seems more skiddish of them than them trying pick on her. I went to check on them after dark, she was on the lower perch, but she was up there! The prolapse has been in check for days! Now, if she can lay an egg! Thanks to all of you for all your help!!

Back
Top Bottom