My Buff Orpington with oviduct prolapse / prolapsed vent. Warning, pictures are graphic!

Olive is now back with her coop mates. She seems more skiddish of them than them trying pick on her. I went to check on them after dark, she was on the lower perch, but she was up there! The prolapse has been in check for days! Now, if she can lay an egg! Thanks to all of you for all your help!!
So very glad she is doing well,you have done an awesome job of healing her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hugs.gif

I had no experience and input in this, but am glad your pet is ok. It's very educational and helpful for me in the future. Thanks for sharing makes me I guess a better flock owner.

My buff orpington hen also prolapsed. I followed the same basic treatment schedule. I bought antibiotic in granular form but did not use it. The membrane did not stay inside after repeated attempts using sugar, Prep H, Epsom salt baths and in a cage with no light for a few days. The membrane dried up and fell off. I also clipped her bum feathers so I could clean her up better. I took her back to the coop and all seems OK. I have 15 hens and yesterday 15 eggs, so I guess she is now laying. First time for all this. I thought I would lose the hen, but thanks for the hints everyone.

I was out with the chicks this afternoon. I can hardly tell Olive from the other buff orpintons now! I am not sure how often she lays. I have 10 hens and get anywhere from 7 - 9 eggs per day. But, she seems happy!

Back
Top Bottom