My Buff Orps are not friendly but not mean

cityslickenchickens

In the Brooder
Sep 27, 2020
West Springfield, MA
They run away from me and always seem scared or skittish. I used an incubator and when they were young they were great and friendly, but after joining the flock they have changed and are not the friendly Buff Orpingtons that you read about. Not mean just not friendly There are other breeds in the flock. 3 white leghorns and 3 black olive eggers. The leghorns are fairly friendly but the olive-eggers are nervous, and very high strung. They have mated with the buff orp rooster and those chickens are very high strung also. Have my Buff orp pullets adapted to and learned that behavior? Thanks for any replies

They run away from me and always seem scared or skittish. I used an incubator and when they were young they were great and friendly, but after joining the flock they have changed and are not the friendly Buff Orpingtons that you read about. Not mean just not friendly There are other breeds in the flock. 3 white leghorns and 3 black olive eggers. The leghorns are fairly friendly but the olive-eggers are nervous, and very high strung. They have mated with the buff orp rooster and those chickens are very high strung also. Have my Buff orp pullets adapted to and learned that behavior? Thanks for any replies
I've had my buffs since 4 days old and they do the same, they are skittish and uncomfortable with me picking them up, but I just continue doing it in the hopes they'll become more accustomed as they age. I have rhode island reds, bard rocks, easter eggers, but the all have their different levels of skittishness.

It’s not just the breed, don’t worry.
For some reason after my pullets grow in all their feathers, they don’t want to be held. They’re way too flighty and energetic. But continue to pick them up and love on them, and they’ll learn to love it with age.
But for a few, it may just be their personality and they do NOT want to be held. You’ll tend to pick this up after a little while.

I have 3 girls I got at 4 weeks I handled them everyday but they are the same they run and skittish if I pick one up omg you would think I’m killing it lol
I incubated 3 and from day one handled them two weeks old now and hate me one even tries to attack me when I put my hand in not as friendly as I read

Back
Top Bottom