My Chick has no hair on her neck!!!

Stepaniechickie

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 27, 2014
Georgia
My chick is maybe four weeks old or so and she has slightly ruffled feathers. I didn't think anything was amiss until she stuck out her neck upward to see me and I saw she has no feathers on her neck! It's just pink! What could be causing it?! Is it natural! I've already lost one chicken and I don't want to loose another! Especially with all the health problems this one is having!

Loss of feathers in this area IMO is most likely feather picking from others.

Don't know what your losses have been, but even one is a tragedy

But would make sure this chick is acting normal, looking healthy, eating, drinking, showing excitement for treats and in general doesn't act sick. Observe the flock and you may find out who's doing it.

Is it a turken, showgirl mix of some sort? I have 6 chicks with no feathers on their necks and i love it...?

Here's our Turken/Naked Neck Roo at around 9-weeks. Does she look like this? He's creepy looking and perfectly healthy!! We think he was our "surprise chick" from McMurray.

(Oops! Sorry--I posted the pic of the Turken for comparison's sake! This is not the original poster's chick!)
From the picture she posted, it looks like the feathers are gone from the chick's upper back, not the neck.
This Turken I have (the only one I've ever had!) has been obviously featherless in the neck since day 1!

Back
Top Bottom