my chick is choking!! :(

crazycluck86

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 8, 2013
uk
I have a 5 day old silkie chick that was rejected by my broody hen. I now know why, its way smaller than its sibling and after I seperated it it was eating as if it were starving, then started gasping for air. I could see a lump of food at the back of its throat so I got the tweezers and gently tried to remove it. The crop was not filling up. What could this be, will she die and is there anything I can do? Its so tiny :(

I have a 5 day old silkie chick that was rejected by my broody hen. I now know why, its way smaller than its sibling and after I seperated it it was eating as if it were starving, then started gasping for air. I could see a lump of food at the back of its throat so I got the tweezers and gently tried to remove it. The crop was not filling up. What could this be, will she die and is there anything I can do? Its so tiny
sad.png
Did you remove stuck food? What kind of feed is she eating? Try adding warm water to chick feed( so that it resembles oatmeal)easier for small chicks to eat. My silkies loved this as chicks,they always gobbled it up. Make sure she is drinking and eating,i would bring one more chick into house with her, she will be too lonely by herself.

Last edited:
We put her with her sister. Yes I managed to remove it, I got the smallest chick crumb I could buy but it seems still to big. Thank you, I will mix it with water and fingers crossed shes ok :(

Back
Top Bottom