My chicken ate a whole snake!

my chickens eat frogs
sickbyc.gif
...I actually don't think that they swallow them but they kill them and then fight over them

A few times, I’ve seen them cut a frog into pieces small enough to eat just by pecking them. Those beaks are dangerous weapons. I don’t let them near my eyes. I’ve seen them do that to a mouse once, though usually they soften the mouse up by pecking it until one swallows it whole. I’ve never seen them cut a snake up into pieces. The ones I’ve seen them eat have been small enough one could swallow it whole. All those, frogs, mice, and snakes are practically always good for a hilarious game of keepaway.

One time though when they were out foraging and drifting towards and area I call The Bog, the one bringing up the rear got a frog. Instead of dashing away with it like they practically always do and drawing attention to herself, she slowly and calmly turned around and carried it back down to the coop area where she got to eat it at her leisure.

one of my girls ate a foot long garter snake a few days ago. The biggest one I’ve seen them eat. Oddly enough, she swallowed it the same way a snake would swallow it’s prey. My kids love to hunt for bugs to feed them and for that, they tend to like the kids best. Our cats also bring home all kinds of things they’ve caught. They leave them half alive to play with so our lady birds often get an easy snack. Usually a lizard, snake, mouse, or frog. My head hen will often leap up and catch dragon flies too. Seems they like bugs and critters more than their feed!

Back
Top Bottom